Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Remove Powershell from search on VDA Desktop

David Tesdall1709161072

Question

I am in the process of removing powershell for standard users. I have put a GPO in place that will not allow powershell to be run from explorer. Also, this makes it so you cannot right click on the start bar and select run powershell. We have CMD turned off via GPO as well. You cannot launch CMD then powershell. 

My last hurtle is if you open the start menu and type "powershell" a link will show up and you can run powershell from there. Does anyone know how to remove powershell from showing up in this search?

Two things:

1. Admins do not have this GPO applied so they can log on and run powershell as needed

2. The users run one powershell script that launches a program and it still needs to work. At this point it still does.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Hi,

These are probably shortcuts that live in either of these locations (or subfolders):

• C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell

Possibly there are other locations too.

You could try deleting these and see if that makes them go away. For the user one, I think you'll need to delete these from the default profile, so they never end up in the users' profile.

Best,

Koenraad

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Koenraad Willems said:

Good idea, but that's assuming that FSLogix is used in the environment though

Takes 5 minutes to setup and if you have enough rights to deploy a Desktop virtualisation environment, chances are you have entitlements to use it - zero reasons not to use appmasking IMHO

There are other ways but they are nowhere near as clean 

• Like 1