Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Can't uninstall Citrix Workspace App 1904

Thomas Gggg

Question

Hi,

I tried to update Citrix Workspace App from 1904 to 1911 on a PC Windows 10. I have to uninstall V1904 first but the uninstall process fails: Der Vorgang ist fehlgeschlagen (Process failed). Is there a proper, alternative method to remove the app manually via tools or do I have to remove all related files and registry entries myself ? I attached the protocol file of the failing attempt to uninstall the app.

TrolleyExpress-20200128-192645.log

2 answers to this question

Hi,

Do you need to uninstall because you want to get rid of Citrix Workspace App? Or do you want to install a newer version?

If the former, I think you have two options:

1. Install a newer version over this one (upgrade), then uninstall that newer version
    You can use the /forceinstall switch if it doesn't want to upgrade, it will essentially do a cleanup
  2. Use the Receiver Cleanup Utility:
    https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137494
    Even though it's technically not made for Workspace App, and it's definitely deprecated, it will work on it.

If the latter, just do step 1. from above.

Best,

Koenraad

I was able to get Citrix *mostly* uninstalled by running through the manual process described here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX325140. This involved deleting a lot of entries from the registry. The article misses the values in `HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall`, which were essential for me to clear out to get Windows to recognize it as uninstalled.

But the better option was downloading a different version of the installer, running that, then uninstalling. The different version didn't stop running when it saw an existing version was already installed - it assumed you wanted to upgrade / downgrade. Then it would fix itself and could be uninstalled.

The `/forceinstall` option mentioned here (https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2019/10/02/still-using-receiver-cleanup-utility-its-time-to-move-on/) never worked for me in any capacity to try to clean things up. I was working with 21.3.1.25 (2103.1). Running in `cmd` with a normal or admin account, I was met with the same warning : "You already have this version of Citrix Workspace installed, so the installer will exit."

I'll note that even though Citrix can install and uninstall without errors, the intallation I have seems to be broken. Many required services are not installed when Citrix is reinstalled. The installer seems to think those components are already installed and skips them. The `ProgramFiles(x86)/Citrix` directory looks quite different from what it looked like in the first working installation. The end result is there are Citrix files on disk, but no Citrix app I can launch, no app associated with the receiver config file format, etc.