Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Upgrading WEM Infrastructure Service from 1909 -> LTSR 1912 on WS12R2 produces error in Infrastructure Service Config Utility

Russell Baker1709159807

Question

2 x load-balanced WEM brokers 1909 (WS16 + WS12R2) - having the brokers on different OS's is a supported config

Both servers are updated to Dec 2019 Windows updates

WS16 WEM broker upgrades successfully, however WS12R2 throws an error

WEM Infra Service appears to upgrade correctly (Windows installer application log) to 1912.1.0.1

However, entering the WEM Infra Service config afterwards and Save Configuration error below

I have removed WEM Infra service and WEM Console, incl removing MS SQL Server Compact 3.5 Sp2 and MS Sync Framework 2.1 components, deleting the "Norskale Infrastructure Service" from the registry and rebooting. Even re-installing with this "clean" machine, same error

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Citrix.Wem.InfrastructureServiceConfiguration.InfrastructureServiceConfiguration.set_CachedDataSyncPort(System.Nullable`1<Int32>)'.
   at Norskale.BrokerService.Configuration.Utility.MainFrm.AssignConfigData()
   at Norskale.BrokerService.Configuration.Utility.MainFrm.InternalCheckFields()
   at Norskale.BrokerService.Configuration.Utility.MainFrm.barButtonItem2_ItemClick(Object sender, ItemClickEventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkClick()
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.ClickLink(BarItemLink link)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.UnPressLink(BarItemLink link)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.Handler.BaseRibbonHandler.OnUnPressItem(DXMouseEventArgs e, RibbonHitInfo hitInfo)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.Handler.BaseRibbonHandler.OnMouseUp(DXMouseEventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.Handler.RibbonHandler.OnMouseUp(DXMouseEventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.RibbonControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at DevExpress.Utils.Controls.ControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.RibbonControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

4 answers to this question

So, WEM 1912 Console would not apply the changes to the CPU usage limit (%) in customize CPU spike protection. ie. if I moved to the Memory Management pane and then returned, the CPU usage limit would revert to it's previous value.  Until I selected Auto prevent CPU spikes and then Apply. The irony, of course, is that it is (usually) preferable to run Auto prevent CPU spikes anyway (a 1909 feature that I have only just become aware of).

The upshot is, I am now running load balanced WEM brokers again on 1912 (albeit, not on my original (1909) WS12R2 box)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, most of the servers are WS12 except for WS16 XenApp servers

I have upgraded the farm (incl WEM from 4.7, if new ver available) from 6.5 thru 7.15, 7.18, 1808, 1811, 1903, 1906, 1909 so let's say I was surprised to see an error now (1912 LTSR). Very pleased that WEM upgrades no longer blat the Infra Service config any more (since 1909)

As WEM Broker is load-balanced and very resilient anyway, I will probably leave it as is for the moment

Ah, on the WS16 WEM Broker that I thought was working, when I use the WEM Console, if I make a change to one of the settings (CPU usage limit, for eg.) and hit "Apply" the settings are NOT updated

Have restored my WEM 1909 SQL database and reverted back to WEM Broker & Console 1909, in combination with the newly-deployed WEM Agents (LTSR1912). Maybe wait for the next ver of WEM (as it's not part of LTSR compliance)