Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Disaster Recovery

Giovanni Bisanti

Question

I was successfully running Xenserver 7.1 with one 4TB SR iSCSI share hosted on a ESOS dedicated machine. In that SR I had created in XenCenter all the drives I needed. One day ESOS decided to quit. All I could do at that point was mount the ESOS RAID array on another machine and somehow dd all the drives I needed on to another drive. 

ESOS initally saw the drives created in XenCenter as LVM volumes, but i wasn't able to mount those. So I made a dd copy of the partitions I needed I thought I could get them mounted somehow in xenserver again and attach them to the VMS that they belong.

I've been trying to recover this for weeks on my own, but I am not able to. Most of the stuff is backed up,  but there are a few things that I'd really like to get back.

Please help

Is there a way to recover from a dd copy of those partition? do I need to update the uuid in xenserver with the original one? ( I created another partition of the same size in the local storage of xenserver and then I dd the backup onto that but now I abviously get "The VDI is not available" when I try to scan it in XenCenter)

Any Idea?

Thank you so much

2 answers to this question

On 1/17/2020 at 2:29 PM, Giovanni Bisanti said:

I was successfully running Xenserver 7.1 with one 4TB SR iSCSI share hosted on a ESOS dedicated machine. In that SR I had created in XenCenter all the drives I needed. One day ESOS decided to quit. All I could do at that point was mount the ESOS RAID array on another machine and somehow dd all the drives I needed on to another drive. 

ESOS initally saw the drives created in XenCenter as LVM volumes, but i wasn't able to mount those. So I made a dd copy of the partitions I needed I thought I could get them mounted somehow in xenserver again and attach them to the VMS that they belong.

I've been trying to recover this for weeks on my own, but I am not able to. Most of the stuff is backed up,  but there are a few things that I'd really like to get back.

Please help

Is there a way to recover from a dd copy of those partition? do I need to update the uuid in xenserver with the original one? ( I created another partition of the same size in the local storage of xenserver and then I dd the backup onto that but now I abviously get "The VDI is not available" when I try to scan it in XenCenter)

Any Idea?

Thank you so much

Please help?

any hope to recover where whould I look?

Thanks again