Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Black screen during shutdown of VDA

FLORIAN BLUMENTHAL

Question

We are having an issue since months with XA7.15 CU4 (and CU updates before) running on Windows Server 2016 when doing a scheduled reboot of VDA's once a week (Delivery Group reboot schedule).

Around 10 (out of 70) of the VDA's are stuck at a black screen (during shutdown process). No access to the VDA's at all anymore except ping is possible.

Only solution is to initiate a "force reboot" within XenCenter (XenServer 7.1 CU2)

VDA's are provisioned with version PVS 7.15.15.11.

Citrix support wants to have a full memory dump to do deeper analysis. However, when I force a bluescreen (https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX123177) when the VDA is on the black screen, the Memory dump creation process is stuck at 0% and will never continue. Funny thing is that when I force a bluescreen from a running VDA, dump creation works to drive D:\ (persistant write cache disk).

During the holidays, user load was quite low on the VDA's and I reported that only 1-2 VDA's were stuck at the black screen. This tends me to the point that user processes could be the root cause!?

Does someone else having this issue?

Currently, my only idea as a next step is to update to the new LTSR but the CU 2-4 also didn't fixed it.

Best

Flo

3 answers to this question

On 1/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, FLORIAN BLUMENTHAL said:

We are having an issue since months with XA7.15 CU4 (and CU updates before) running on Windows Server 2016 when doing a scheduled reboot of VDA's once a week (Delivery Group reboot schedule).

Around 10 (out of 70) of the VDA's are stuck at a black screen (during shutdown process). No access to the VDA's at all anymore except ping is possible.

Only solution is to initiate a "force reboot" within XenCenter (XenServer 7.1 CU2)

VDA's are provisioned with version PVS 7.15.15.11.

Citrix support wants to have a full memory dump to do deeper analysis. However, when I force a bluescreen (https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX123177) when the VDA is on the black screen, the Memory dump creation process is stuck at 0% and will never continue. Funny thing is that when I force a bluescreen from a running VDA, dump creation works to drive D:\ (persistant write cache disk).

During the holidays, user load was quite low on the VDA's and I reported that only 1-2 VDA's were stuck at the black screen. This tends me to the point that user processes could be the root cause!?

Does someone else having this issue?

Currently, my only idea as a next step is to update to the new LTSR but the CU 2-4 also didn't fixed it.

Best

Flo

Hmm, at some point there was issues with the restart-schedule itself, i remember that the soulution was to remove the restart schedule and add it once again, through powershell. you can find the syntax here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224906 

another thing is to see if there is any processes from any users in the machines that not was able to be shut down at logout. 

Hi Markus

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

One of the first things we did was to delete and recreate the weekly restart schedueles via powershell, unfortunatelly withount success.

You second point is also a very interesting one for me as well because of the very low crashed servers during the holidays! But how can I find out which process is still running when no access to the VDA is possible. I can ping it but no remote tool works anymore (like ps tools nor powershell).

I am really wondering why the memory dump is stuck at 0%. It seams that also some really deep system processes are already stopped?!

16 hours ago, FLORIAN BLUMENTHAL said:

Hi Markus

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

One of the first things we did was to delete and recreate the weekly restart schedueles via powershell, unfortunatelly withount success.

You second point is also a very interesting one for me as well because of the very low crashed servers during the holidays! But how can I find out which process is still running when no access to the VDA is possible. I can ping it but no remote tool works anymore (like ps tools nor powershell).

I am really wondering why the memory dump is stuck at 0%. It seams that also some really deep system processes are already stopped?!

Hi!

yeah thats a tricky one. What i did is that i logged in to the servers later in the evening, If you have configured the disconnect timers there will be no users logged in in most servers, i managed to find processes not ended by user that were no longer logged in on the servers. the processes that were causing the issues was then added as followed https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX891671?_ga=2.173362531.1546845127.1579074922-576050708.1570111432