Welcome to our new Citrix community!

WEM problem since 1912 LTSR upgrade

Sadique Khan1709160512

Question

Hi geezas

We upgraded our estate to 1912 LTSR , now when users log in and WEM agent runs. all the apps that are in the start menu get copied to the taskbar at logon. If i unpin the apps from taskbar and refresh WEM then they come back. 

Looking at WEM assignments, pin to taskbar is not selected on any apps

I have tried toggling the other application settings like pin to start etc, and it doesnt affect the situation - we still keep getting icons in the taskbar

The other wierd thing it that not all apps get an icon in the taskbar e.g. word powerpoint and outlook do get an icon in the taskbar but excel doesnt 

I also tried deleting the user profile and creating new from scratch - same happens

If i kill the WEM agent before it fires up then we dont get the icons - its definately WEM causing the problem

Is there a new option that i need to turn off somewhere to stop this happening ? or is it a bug?

Thanks

Sadique

6 answers to this question

I had upgraded from version 1811 - we did an in place upgrade of everything to 1912 as that was the supported path and it did keep all of our configuration in tact.

Ours is consistent and works the same every time - everything looks good for me except this issue that its adding the icons to the taskbar when we don't have it configured to

I have a support call open with citrix now ... see if they can find out whats going on

We have tried deleting various registry keys and refreshing caches, deleting local cache database files etc ... has not cured the issue ...

What I can mention is that 1912 introduced a new port - 8288 for the agent cache function , if your agents are not able to use this port to refresh then that might be a reason why its inconsistent for you ...

We had a load balanced service via citrix ADC for 2 WEM servers , and I found that I had to reconfigure the load balancer to also load balance the new port before we could refresh the cache

Hi I do know that WEM 1912 is introducing new ports. 

And after I have upgraded the entire Citrix XenApp/Xendesktop 7 (studio, director, DDC and VDA's) to 1912, and this configuration is running stable, I have to upgraded my Citrix WEM from 1808 to 1912.

Right now I have upgraded one of the customers delivery group VDA to 1912 and according to the customer this has implemented error in creating Desktop start up menu shortscuts. I have two remaining Delivery groups that I'll keep on the previous VDA setup.

So right now I don't know what is causing the error. VDA 1912 or WEM 1808. Or the cooperation between the two products. 

And as I am going to Citrix summit next week, I think I'll roll back the failing delivery group to the old VDA version.

Geezas

I thought i had resolved the issue - but no ... .

Citrix support spent hours looking at the issue - they are still looking at the problem , and have not seen this problem before apparently 

Anyways in the meantime I created a new config set and imported the previous config backup , the issue was unresolved with this new config set

But when i created a new config set from scratch and did NOT import the old backup - this appears to be working

After trying to import just the AD Objects it again reverted back to putting icons on the taskbar

So basically what we think happened was the config set was corrupted by the in place upgrade

This took me hours .... but it looked like it solved the issue - except now the apps were not being pinned in the start menu - but we were not getting them pined to the taskbar... 

The next day when trying to resolve the missing tiles from start menu - the taskbar icons came back again and now i cant get rid of them

I dont think 1912 WEM  is working at all

Kind regards

Sadique

• Like 1

I have a lab that was built using 1909 including WEM.  I upgraded from 1909 to 1912 and I can tell you that my WEM is completely broken.  I see the policies being applied.  If I go in and do -refreshcache and I make a change I see the change come in.  However, it stopped redirecting my profiles back to the store.  I saw the new policy in AD for the 1912 feature.  I enabled it and did a gpupdatep on it and still nothing.  I turned debugging on I actually saw my profile path but nothing gets sent.  It simply just creates the profile locally but the redirector log file works just fine.

Side note.  I noticed that once my profiles stopped redirecting (span of a week) the only feature of my profiles that didn't stop was the folder redirection I had going on.  It seem like the WEM agent is getting the updates but it just doesn't do anything with them.  Seems like something might not being set correcting during policy retrieval / deployment.  I will down grade back to 1909 and see if comes back.

8 hours ago, Sean Richards said:

I have a lab that was built using 1909 including WEM.  I upgraded from 1909 to 1912 and I can tell you that my WEM is completely broken.  I see the policies being applied.  If I go in and do -refreshcache and I make a change I see the change come in.  However, it stopped redirecting my profiles back to the store.  I saw the new policy in AD for the 1912 feature.  I enabled it and did a gpupdatep on it and still nothing.  I turned debugging on I actually saw my profile path but nothing gets sent.  It simply just creates the profile locally but the redirector log file works just fine.

Side note.  I noticed that once my profiles stopped redirecting (span of a week) the only feature of my profiles that didn't stop was the folder redirection I had going on.  It seem like the WEM agent is getting the updates but it just doesn't do anything with them.  Seems like something might not being set correcting during policy retrieval / deployment.  I will down grade back to 1909 and see if comes back.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX219086

I have multiple 1912 deployments out in the wild and so far so good