Welcome to our new Citrix community!

1912 LTSR - How many Delivery Controllers?

Stan Svetec

Question

I'm in the process of designing a 1912 LTSR Farm to replace my XA6.5.  I have 2 Data Centers where half my XA farm is hosted in each DC.  I currently only have 2 Zone Data Collectors for 6.5 - 1 in each DC.  The XA farm is a single-zone and only 1 ZDC is the primary as expected the other is standby.

With respect to 1912 and continuing with the 'single zone/delivery group', would I provision 2 Delivery Controllers per DC?  Or stick with the 1 Deliver Controller per DC?

Regards

2 answers to this question

Stan that depends on the business need. If you are going with a Active-Active Setup and can risk user connectivity on 1 DC you can go with it. But The think The Xendesktop site has two DDC servers - DDC1 and DDC2. One of the VDAs, VDA1 is registered with DDC1. If DDC1 goes unresponsive/powered off/shutdown for some reason, any new user who is attempting to launch an application or desktop from VDA1 might see a launch failure for up to 6 minutes from the time DDC1 went unresponsive. WHich is not the case if going with 1 DDC for each DC.

So everything in my environment is built with redundancy in mind.  Using my current XA 6.5 farm as an example I have NetScalers, DB's (Always on), Session Hosts, StoreFront, ZDC's present at each DC, so if one DC experiences an issue for whatever reason, the other DC has all the necessary infrastructure to continue serving desktops and apps (albeit...at a reduced capacity of course).  So yes, by the sounds of it, having a single DDC per Data Centre makes sense.  VDAs in DC1 register with DDC1, and VDAs in DC2 register with DDC2.  Or just specify both DDCs to the VDAs and let them load balance themselves.

Regards