Welcome to our new Citrix community!

1912 LTSR VDA support?

Andrew Gresbach1709152664

Question

This may have nothing to do w/ App Layering but wanted to make sure......does anyone know if the new 1912 LTSR is compatible w/ the current App Layering release?  I am trying a brand new platform layer w/ only installing the VDA & joining to domain, logging in as domain user/cleanup after/finalize.    When i deploy just the OS layer and this new platform layer i'm having 2 odd behaviors that i dont with the 1909 or below VDA:

1.  logging out of our MCS non persistent desktops will blue screen the VDA every time

2.  at least 1/3 of my logins will get to the desktop and then lockup/freeze and hold until i force restart from Director.

I've tried to keep this as bare bones as possible for testing but so far happens whenever i use the 1912 vda so not sure if its app layering related (using full user layer for reference so more i can isolate in testing by removing that ) . or just something w/ the vda itself

15 answers to this question

On 12/26/2019 at 10:23 PM, Andrew Gresbach1709152664 said:

This may have nothing to do w/ App Layering but wanted to make sure......does anyone know if the new 1912 LTSR is compatible w/ the current App Layering release?  I am trying a brand new platform layer w/ only installing the VDA & joining to domain, logging in as domain user/cleanup after/finalize.    When i deploy just the OS layer and this new platform layer i'm having 2 odd behaviors that i dont with the 1909 or below VDA:

1.  logging out of our MCS non persistent desktops will blue screen the VDA every time

2.  at least 1/3 of my logins will get to the desktop and then lockup/freeze and hold until i force restart from Director.

I've tried to keep this as bare bones as possible for testing but so far happens whenever i use the 1912 vda so not sure if its app layering related (using full user layer for reference so more i can isolate in testing by removing that ) . or just something w/ the vda itself

I would love to know this as well.   Any idea of when LTSR 1912 will be supported with App Layering?  It's unfortunate that we have to wait weeks after a CVAD release for App Layering to support the new VDA / PVS version.  I really wish they would align their releases to have day 1 support. 

I'm still on 1809, but haven't seen any blue screens. The only oddity I saw was that my small target devices (2 vCPU/5GB) worked fine, but my large target devices (4 vCPU/8GB) all failed to register when they came online. Of course, my entire environment is still 7.15 LTSR CU2, so my results are effectively worthless.

I spun up some new VDAs with the following config:

Windows 10 1909

PVS 1909

VDA 1912

Wem 1912

Elastic Layering Enabled but not the user layer.

Of course I am on CAL 1911.

I did not have any Blue screen issues.

I intentionally did not apply any optimizations to see what would happen.

This is not real testing though.

I have asked when engineering plan on testing the 1912 VDA and Ill reply back when i get that.

Rob

7 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

I spun up some new VDAs with the following config:

Windows 10 1909

PVS 1909

VDA 1912

Wem 1912

Elastic Layering Enabled but not the user layer.

Of course I am on CAL 1911.

I did not have any Blue screen issues.

I intentionally did not apply any optimizations to see what would happen.

This is not real testing though.

I have asked when engineering plan on testing the 1912 VDA and Ill reply back when i get that.

Rob

Thanks Rob.  What about testing with PVS 1912?

awesome thanks for the help on this!  i am having better luck w/ 1912 vda in our 7.15.2000 environment.   I still get the bluescreen when i JUST have the VDA install w/out running Citrix Optimizer (not sure just yet which section fixes it but if i run those that goes away).    Maybe its due to our slightly older LTSR build so we'll get up to CU5 and see how it goes and soon enough get to 1912 if it proves to be stable

awesome thanks for the heads up! i just updated last night. i still see the blue screens after log out if i dont have citrix optimizer set (which ironically in another thread about slow logins w/ 2 monitors someone may have found that the optimizer may be causing it).  I need to get our 7.15.2000 environment up to the latest 1912 so maybe thats my issue

On 1/24/2020 at 9:34 PM, Andrew Gresbach1709152664 said:

awesome thanks for the heads up! i just updated last night. i still see the blue screens after log out if i dont have citrix optimizer set (which ironically in another thread about slow logins w/ 2 monitors someone may have found that the optimizer may be causing it).  I need to get our 7.15.2000 environment up to the latest 1912 so maybe thats my issue

Which other thread are you referring to? I'd like to follow it. I'm curious to know which optimization is causing the issue, if somebody is taking the time to go through them one by one. My own Citrix Optimizer template is in the Marketplace.