Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Using a 4TB HDD for a windows server VM as storage. (2TB limit)

Fedde Tiemersma

Question

Hello good people, 

I Just added a physical 4TB HDD to my server and I would like to use it for one of my windows server VMs (using windows server 2019 as my plex server). This is how I went to work and added the 4TB HDD to Xenserver.

I used the Xenserver console and used the following command: 

xe sr-create content-type=user device-config:device=/dev/sda vm-uuid=2a3db633-dc59-62dc-4d4c-e238f366d1bb name-label="4TB plex-storage" type=lvm

I used the vm-uuid of my Plex server and as you can see in the first screenshot, it added the 4TB Disk to Xenserver. That felt great and I thought that would give me the opportunity to now attach the 4TB storage to my Plex server and further activate it in disk management so I will be able to use it for my media.

Unfortunately, I was not able to transform it to a Virtual, usable hard disk since there was a 2TB limit. To go around this, I cut the disk into two separate ones as seen in the second screenshot. Doing this feels so uncomfortable in the first place, because now I have to span the 2 disks in the disk management in windows. I added a third screenshot to show how it looks.

My shy question is, since i'm quite insecure about what I just did, did I do it right? Is this the workaround that everyone would do? I fear that this (the spanned disk) will now eliminate the opportunity to mirror it with a second 4TB disk added later. (Raid 1 with sofware raid in windows server)

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_1.png

13 answers to this question

I'm confused, I guess. You can have SRs of very large size (under LVM or GFS2) just that with VMs there are restrictions on VDI sizes.

As to concatenating disks to create larger SRs, I've done this before on the local drive level in a pinch, but it will indeed create some limitations. Above all, mostly these tend to be managed by hardware RAID associated with the host in question and if doing anything involving more than one physical disk, I have almost always handled such configurations directly though the server's built-in RAID manager.

-=Tobias

2 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

I'm confused, I guess. You can have SRs of very large size (under LVM or GFS2) just that with VMs there are restrictions on VDI sizes.

As to concatenating disks to create larger SRs, I've done this before on the local drive level in a pinch, but it will indeed create some limitations. Above all, mostly these tend to be managed by hardware RAID associated with the host in question and if doing anything involving more than one physical disk, I have almost always handled such configurations directly though the server's built-in RAID manager.

-=Tobias

I think Xenserver is a bit too advanced for me. all I want is to add my newly bought 4TB to a Virtual machine, which is running windows server 2019. I thought it would be very easy by just attach the new HDD to your power supply and Sata cable, add it to Xenserver by using a command, and tell the Virtual machine to use it. Right now, that doesn't seem to be the case since its limitations of 2TB. I might be doing something wrong, but I also find other topics about some limitations.

As I read through the internet, I see that VMware ESXI might be able to add the 4TB HDD to a VM as 1 whole ?

You need to add the drive to the XS instance first, as a local SR (storage repository) and then it can be carved up and allocated to VMs running on XS. Once you have installed XS, you have to add any additional local storage devices using the CLI (it cannot be done via XenCenter). Maybe this KB article will help with that process if you have the drive recognized on your XS host already: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX130897

It does appear you have the device connected OK, but I believe it's configured as LVM?

-=Tobias

9 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

It does appear you have the device connected OK, but I believe it's configured as LVM?

The 4TB hard drive is indeed connected OK and is configured as LVM. After that I had to split them in 2 virtual disks because of the 2TB limitation, the 2 virtual disks were then  configured OK in the Virtual machine (which is a windows server 2019 machine) and are spanned as 1 whole disk of 4TB as seen in the third screenshot. 

The 4TB hard drive (which is spanned in the VM) is meant for video storage because i'm running a plex media server on the VM. To add redundancy later, I'd like to add another 4TB hard drive. The problem is, the disk would be spanned AGAIN which leaves me with 4 partitions running as 2 volumes and I don't believe they can be mirrored with software raid.

I have also read that it would be possible to Pass-through a physical disk directly to a Virtual machine? 

Thank you guys for the comments so far, I can see that this 2TB limit is a huge deal for many.

Off-topic: pfeew... What are people even doing when they want to virtualize something like Freenas and use 10tb hard disks as raid storage.. must be a pain!

Ah, you are taking 2 VDIs from the 4 TB SR and spanning them on the VM using the Windows OS, now I think I see.

Have you looked at GFS2 as an option for the SR and storage for the VMs? As to direct passthrough, I have done that but with a Linix VM and iSCSI; not sure about a Windows VM. All that is of course unsupported.

-=Tobias

Hello dear people,

Sorry for the... long... long AFK time.. been trying to fix random Xenserver crashes and getting my homelab set-up. 

I have managed to passthrough the whole 4TB as an SR into XenCenter and attached the disk to a plex VM(windows server) for storage! it works so amazingly well and lets me do software raid (within windows) later on when I plug in a second 4TB hard drive.

I used the following commands to do it! (can't find the link to the page, but still have the screenshot)

I want to thank everyone for the super fast answers, it really looks like these forums are super active!

DiskPASS.png