Welcome to our new Citrix community!

CVAD VDIs on Azure power management issue

Bashier Baroud

Question

Hi all,

I have a POC environment for a customer with CVAD 1903 running on Azure. The POC is meant to run more as a pilot for about 6 months until the future environment is built. Now the customer has complained about the costs being much higher than expected. We have about 175 dedicated VDIs running at the moment using DS3v2s and DS4v2s. The users are devs so they need high resources. Now I have these VDIs with premium disks plus expressroute. So the outbound data transfer plus the used storage on the VDIs are costing us. Also were using on demand VMs instead of reserved because of it being a pilot. But the biggest issue I have is that I have powermanaged the VDIs with a peak time from 7am to 7pm and during that time after 150min disconnect it should shutdown and 30min logoff it should shutdown while outside peak times both values are at 30mins. Normally it should only start 10% of the VDIs at 7am plus the VDIs of the users logging on. The issue however is that all the VDIs are starting at 7am, while the value is false for AutomaticPowerOnForAssignedDuringPeak plus for ShutdownAfterUse. 

Any idea why this is happening? As this is the biggest cost driver at the moment and it has reached a point that the customer is considering changing the solution to on-prem instead of public cloud as hosting platform.

Thanks in advance!

3 answers to this question

Hi, bbaroud273,   I think you might want to use ShutdownDesktopsAfterUse Delivery Group property in the SDK.  See this info about Power State Timers.  

Power state timers: You can use power state timers to suspend machines after users have disconnected for a specified amount of time. For example, machines suspend automatically outside of office hours if users are disconnected for at least 10 minutes. Random machines or machines with personal vDisks automatically shut down when users log off, unless you configure the ShutdownDesktopsAfterUse Delivery Group property in the SDK.  There is no property for "ShutdownAfterUse" in delivery group properties :-) 

You can configure timers for weekdays and weekends, and for peak and nonpeak intervals.  Lifted From:  https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/install-configure/delivery-groups-manage.html#power-manage-machines-in-a-delivery-group

23 minutes ago, Sandra Burke said:

Hi, bbaroud273,   I think you might want to use ShutdownDesktopsAfterUse Delivery Group property in the SDK.  See this info about Power State Timers.  

Power state timers: You can use power state timers to suspend machines after users have disconnected for a specified amount of time. For example, machines suspend automatically outside of office hours if users are disconnected for at least 10 minutes. Random machines or machines with personal vDisks automatically shut down when users log off, unless you configure the ShutdownDesktopsAfterUse Delivery Group property in the SDK.  There is no property for "ShutdownAfterUse" in delivery group properties :-) 

You can configure timers for weekdays and weekends, and for peak and nonpeak intervals.  Lifted From:  https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/install-configure/delivery-groups-manage.html#power-manage-machines-in-a-delivery-group

Thanks for your answer, I already have that configured, and you're absolutely right, I meant shutdowndesktopsafteruse ;). See attached screens for the settings. The reason I have placed this value on False is because the way I understood this parameter is that it doesnt shutdown after logoff, but it restarts the machines. While this is handy for non-persistent machines to restart in order to flush the changes made to the machine to prepare for a new user session, this doesnt seem to be relevant for my use case with persistent VDI's, right?

1.jpg

2.jpg