Welcome to our new Citrix community!

General questions / new to WEM

Andrew Gresbach1709152664

Question

We are new to WEM (switching over from Appsense Environment Manager) and  have a couple questions/issues I'm hoping are simple to answer:

1.  One of the big benefits of WEM obviously is the logon optimization which is a huge reason that we are looking to use it.   Do you need to set any settings, configs in the console to JUST take care of that on an agent or does JUST having the agent installed and registered w/ a server handle that out of the box?

2.  As I understood , right clicking the agent should give some more options such as assigned applications,  help desk features, etc.  However this is all that I am seeing.   any advice?  Ive been trying to read as many tutorials and guides as I can but not finding much on these yet 

image.png.888783778283a7933f5048ce97ccfe36.png

3.  Is there an easy way to move an agent to a different configuration set?  for some reason i wasnt able to find a way

4. We seem to be having an issue with the agent consistently launching even though we set it to do that, also for reconnection and vdi compatibility. I've read others think it's due to the agent service starting so quickly but curious what others think

thank you for the help!

20 answers to this question

On 12/8/2019 at 2:51 AM, Andrew Gresbach1709152664 said:

1.  One of the big benefits of WEM obviously is the logon optimization which is a huge reason that we are looking to use it.   Do you need to set any settings, configs in the console to JUST take care of that on an agent or does JUST having the agent installed and registered w/ a server handle that out of the box?

The big benefit comes from shifting components out of the logon phase and into the post logon - meaning things like GPP drive mappings, printers, scripts etc. You won't get any benefits until you remove from point A, and put into WEM from a logon perspective.

You will get immediate benefits from resource management and optimization perspective

2.  As I understood , right clicking the agent should give some more options such as assigned applications,  help desk features, etc.  However this is all that I am seeing.   any advice?  Ive been trying to read as many tutorials and guides as I can but not finding much on these yet 

You will need to turn these things on for users -> Advanced Settings -> UI Agent Personalization

image.thumb.png.b7d807e6f6c9f6f9a0dd2ffa9eef09f0.png

3.  Is there an easy way to move an agent to a different configuration set?  for some reason i wasnt able to find a way

Remove the AD OU/Computer Object/Group from one Config set and add to another - reboot machine :)

4. We seem to be having an issue with the agent consistently launching even though we set it to do that, also for reconnection and vdi compatibility. I've read others think it's due to the agent service starting so quickly but curious what others think

Don't we all - use a startup script to make yourself feel less crazy

https://github.com/JamesKindon/Citrix/tree/master/Citrix WEM Startup Scripts

as part of the download media, WEM comes with some default templates - it's worth importing the default recommended settings to get you started

some additional reading to help you out (some of it is dated now)

https://www.mycugc.org/blogs/cugc-blogs/2017/11/30/wem-advanced-guidance-part-1

https://www.mycugc.org/blogs/cugc-blogs/2018/01/04/wem-advanced-guidancepart-2-user-interaction

https://www.mycugc.org/blogs/cugc-blogs/2018/02/08/wem-advanced-guidance-part-3-the-leftovers-good-ba

and I have some ramblings here re most things WEM :)

https://jkindon.com/

awesome thank you so much for the detailed information here! 

One quick question on the agent login script you linked......we use App Layering (full user layer) w/ MCS non persistent in our environment.  do you typically just put that script as a scheduled task locally in the image to run at logon maybe?    or what do you recommend

also,  if you use this script should you turn off the option to run at logon in the WEM console ?  only ask because what if it DOES run like it should and then this script restarts things and it runs a 2nd time (thinking a delay and 2nd UI pop up for end user ).  I may be thinking wrong on this but just thought i'd ask

thank you again!

awesome thank you!  i have it set as a local machine login script baked into the image ( i dont have access to manage our global group policy  and set the wem config to start the agent at logon/reconnect and vdi compatibility and so far so good!  so this method has proven pretty reliable you said?

On the topic of logon speed optimization,  this is a big sore spot for us right now (we average about 70-80sec logons w/ our app layering/user layer environment right now.......on the group policy side, using a controlup script we show our IE favorites to be a big bottleneck......i'd imagine we could maybe JUST move that policy to WEM and it would then process that after the desktop is loaded , right?

The big slowdown we see is the Win 10 "Welcome" screen so trying to figure out what part is causing that to be so slow ultimately

good to know!  the IE bookmarks is the big issue we would be hoping to move if we can i think.     I'm sure ill find this after i do some more digging but thought i'd ask here too......we use Office 365....does WEM have any way to have a default config setup for Outlook for first time setup so users dont have to manually chose the first few steps? I know we had that option w/ appsense 

so in regards to the agent running at login.  i have that startup script you suggested in the local group policy computer startup script (used the bat version) but the agent is not launching consistently still.........seems like every 3rd login i try so far it doesn't.   anything else i can check for that maybe?  i saw during the agent install there was some type of delay you could throw in for it to start ...maybe that could be something?