Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Server 2019 with CVAD - Missing title bar or top part of windows on multi monitor

Richard Ockwell

Question

I am having an intermittent problem which seems to have been plaguing Windows 10 users for some time, but is happening on our Windows Server 2019 servers.  Applications will stop displaying correctly, losing a portion of the top of the window.  This only happen when the applications are full screen and only happens on client hardware that has more than one monitor.

The offending applications include but are not limited to:

Google Chrome - Version 78.0.3904.108

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - Version 19.021.20056

Windows File Explorer

Notepad

The only applications not affected are those from Office 365:

Word 365

Excel 365

Outlook 365

I have attached screenshots of the issue which I managed to capture.  Note, I cannot make this issue happen on demand, it seems to kick in randomly and it can be either application it starts in.  Once the problem has appeared, both applications will suffer with the issue, leading my thinking to Windows problem rather than application.  When it is in the problem state, you cannot click on the top section of the window, if you do, you end up click the window behind it, it's almost like a hole in the window.  The rest of the window functions normally.

The workaround is to full screen the application (if possible) either with F11 or CTRL + L, then bring them it out of full screen with the same keystroke.  My users are getting fed up of doing this however and it doesn't solve the issue for all applications.  The other fix is to resize the Citrix window then full screen it again.

I have seen this issue reported a lot for Windows 10 and seen workarounds like press CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B, changing scaling options and specific fixes for Intel HD GPU's, but I can find nothing to help sort this issue out in a Citrix session.

I have changed one user from a HP T520 thin Client to a new HP T530 system, but no change.  I changed her monitors so the were identical models, no change. I am not sure it relates to the client hardware as this is a Citrix session of course, but I've tried everything to rule it out.

Here is the current server layout:

VMware 6.5 Virtual Machines running 8 virtual cores, 24GB RAM and 40GB storage.

As this is graphical issues, the VM's reported display adaptor is a VMware SVGA 3D.

VMware Video Card settings (from inside vCenter and the VM's setting) are 1 display, 8MB Total Video Memory, no 3D support.

VM is running Windows Server 2019 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.864)

Citrix Virtual Delivery Agent is running version 1903.1.0.21161

Our CVAD Delivery Server is running version 1903.1.0.21161

Please, if anyone can help, I would be most appreciative.

Here is the link the Windows 10 problem of the same description: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5?page=27&rtAction=1575286535590&tm=1575286587789

Richard

Chrome.jpg

Acrobat.jpg

notepad.png

File Explorer.png

15 answers to this question

We are expereincing the same issue for some of our users and our environment is similar to yours:

vSphere 6.7

Mix of Windows 10 and Server 2019 1809

CVAD 1909

Igel Thin Clients with 2 monitors

Our only workaround is to log off and back on, the issue is intermittent but does seem to be affecting the same handful of users.

did you manage to find a solution?  We are going to test VDA 1912 to see if there is any improvement.

In watching the link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5?page=27&rtAction=1575286535590&tm=1575286587789

There was a post about disabling Word Protected View.  Not ideal due to security but I have tested it and had zero reports of missing toolbars since.  Microsoft still need to fix it properly but if you choose to use the work around then apply these settings (A temporary Group Policy is easiest which can be deleted when they finally sort it out).  Restart the systems after applying to take affect.  Should see the end of it for now.

My GPO settings:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Word 2016 > Word Options > Security > Trust Center > Protected View

Do not open files from the Internet zone in Protected View - Enabled
Do not open files in unsafe locations in Protected View - Enabled
Open files on local Intranet UNC in Protected View - Disabled
Set document behaviour if file validation fails - Not Configured
Turn off Protected View for attachments opened from Outlook - Enabled

1 hour ago, Richard Ockwell said:

In watching the link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5?page=27&rtAction=1575286535590&tm=1575286587789

There was a post about disabling Word Protected View.  Not ideal due to security but I have tested it and had zero reports of missing toolbars since.  Microsoft still need to fix it properly but if you choose to use the work around then apply these settings (A temporary Group Policy is easiest which can be deleted when they finally sort it out).  Restart the systems after applying to take affect.  Should see the end of it for now.

My GPO settings:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Word 2016 > Word Options > Security > Trust Center > Protected View

Do not open files from the Internet zone in Protected View - Enabled
Do not open files in unsafe locations in Protected View - Enabled
Open files on local Intranet UNC in Protected View - Disabled
Set document behaviour if file validation fails - Not Configured
Turn off Protected View for attachments opened from Outlook - Enabled

Thanks - Obviously it is my preference to keep protected mode enabled, but at least we now have something to check for when it is next reported.

40 minutes ago, Norbert Meszaros said:

We have been battling this same issue.  I am about to put the GPO in place for some test users, but does anybody have a confirmation whether that fixes the issue?

Since disabling protected view in Word (as above) we haven’t had the issue reported so for us it worked around the problem.

2 hours ago, Norbert Meszaros said:

We have been battling this same issue.  I am about to put the GPO in place for some test users, but does anybody have a confirmation whether that fixes the issue?

I still have no further reports of the issue since I made this change. Given how many reports I was getting, this definitely fixes the issue. However, given the nature of the fix, it’s more a workaround than a fix for now.

Experiencing this still as well. Confirmed happening in Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Adobe Reader DC in this environment.
It can't be provoked / triggered intentionally - it seemingly happens at random. I have for one user set the Workspace app to "Best Resolution" in display settings and that user have not reported it since, but it has only been a week and it happens very infrequently and for various users with no apparent pattern or frequency. Only thing that is in common is that they all use multiple displays, on the client resolution and scale is the same on both monitors. It makes no apparent difference wether the user has 2 or 3 monitors.

Same here:

Server is Win2019 with CVAD1912 LTSR

We have the problem with only one customer on their server. Out of ~100 servers.

The problem occurs in (at least) Google Chrome, Adobe Reader, MS Office and a LOB-application,

I'm really hesitant to implement the suggested workaround where you lower the MS Office security settings.

However, I don't see any responses yet that this latter workaround (setting Best Resolution in CWA) does actually work for the users.

- What are your results on this?

What version of CWA do you use?

Which setting do you mean by 'Best Resolution'? Is this Advanced Preferences > High DPI > Yes

We are still struggling with this on just random users - same 1912 - I think we had the issue with CU3 and CU7.

Basically 4 repeating users out of 120. With one user we have swapped their device (was using a docked laptop now on a HP T640 Thinclient). We have tried all of above measures. With the Citrix Toolbar enabled (previously wasn't by default) we have found more reliability but eventually the person will have the error again. Before swapping devices on the laptop though it would be maybe once a day, and now more like once a week.

Just trying to find when and why it occours is the bit that makes it hard to resolve.

Anyone else in this thread that stopped the issue and knows exactly what fixed it.