Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Export VM to ISCSI

Tomasz Falicyn

Question

21 answers to this question

You can't, vm-export requires a filesystem location to write to. Adding an iSCSI SR through XenCenter does not create a filesystem as the SR uses the Linux Logical Volume Manager component to allocate block device slices to the VMs using the SR.

If you want to export remotely you should either use the XenCenter VM export option and write it locally or add an NFS or SMB remote filesystem mount and export to that.

15 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

VM's need to be running and XenTools installed to do a Storage Migration. You also need to be licensed.

With a VM shut down you need to do an export/import to move the data to another SR. 

--Alan--

I dont want to do Storage Migration.

I only want manualy export my virtual machine (this machine have disk on localy and is shutdown ) to file ova\ovf or xva to ISCSI storage.

17 minutes ago, Mark Syms said:

You didn't say you wanted to move it. You said you wanted to export it. They are two very different operations.

I want export.

But in export and move you must define destination. Yes ? 

i dont know what i must write as destination ?

i must manualy mont iscsi as folder or what ? i added iscsi storage by GUI so i don't do this again in the command line . right ? 

"But i cant move VM to iscsi BY GUI". That was what I read and screenshot that I took as him 

wanting to do a move since export didn't work. But yes, exports are files so you need a 

place to put those. Now if you have NAS/SAN that shares CIFS/NFS of course you can 

save to those locations. 

--Alan--

In principle you could put it on a mounted iSCSI volume using the full path to such a mounted volume and including an output file name but I would advise against that. Your best choices are to a mounted NFS volume (common, for example, to all hosts in your pool) or to your local PC from which you issue the command via the XenCenter consolue on your pool master.

Those would be my suggestions.

-=Tobias

5 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

In principle you could put it on a mounted iSCSI volume using the full path to such a mounted volume and including an output file name but I would advise against that. your best choices are to a mounted NFS volume (common, for example, to all hosts in your pool) or to your local PC from which you issue the command via the XenCenter consolue on your pool master.

-=Tobias

i'am testing in Lab :) so you can tell me how do this 

i will not do this on production environment. 

If you find your iSCSI device UUID of the SR from XenCenter, it should show up as a mount point under /dev/VG_XenStorage-[UUID-of-iSCSIdevice]

and there, all the various VHD devices are stored. As I said in principle, you can write there but it is most definitely neither recommended nor supported! Be sure not to change anything associated with any of the device entries there and be careful not to run out of storage space.

-=Tobias

31 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

In principle you could put it on a mounted iSCSI volume using the full path to such a mounted volume and including an output file name but I would advise against that. Your best choices are to a mounted NFS volume (common, for example, to all hosts in your pool) or to your local PC from which you issue the command via the XenCenter consolue on your pool master.

-=Tobias

Not by using an iSCSI SR you can't as the iSCSI SR cannot be mounted as it has no filesystem.

14 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

I was talking about creating an XVA export file on that same mount point, which is definitely possible. Just a short while ago, I created and edited a Linux file under one of my iSCSI mount points.  W was not talking here about internal VM storage!

-=Tobias

So command line will be like this ? 

xe vm-export vm=170c5d8c-77a5-1d0c-f3a1-38726dcbe8cb filename=/dev/VG_XenStorage-[UUID-of-iSCSIdevice]/my_exported_vm_machine.xva

i will try tomorrow :) 

13 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

That should work, yes. Again, not at all recommended in general!

i my case is error

err.PNG

size.PNG

PS. i test create small file on /dev/VG_XenStorage-[UUID-of-iSCSIdevice] but not succes 

i have error - "no space left"

But i can create folder "Tomasz"

no_space.PNG

i have connection to iscsi

conn_to_iscsi.thumb.PNG.341385e93a80e5dcf32af287fcb0a5ce.PNG

i change premissions on 777 

upraw.thumb.PNG.3406ae54fd85572d9ddb0f6e7badf2d9.PNG

krakson83, please ignore the advice that Tobias is giving you, he is misleading you. The iSCSI SR is not a filesystem and cannot be used in the way that you are trying to do. You must use a filesystem, and in this case you likely want an NFS or SMB network filesystem.

The data could be stored on an external iSCSI data store but not one that is being used by a hypervisor storage repository. You would have to establish the connection to it manually and format it with a filesystem before mounting it. This would not be a supported method so any issues or data loss would have to be dealt with by you.

Mark.

Storage Engineering Lead

Citrix Hybrid Cloud Platforms

I very explicitly said (1) I do not recommend this, and (2) make sure there is adequate space available.

The statements were very clear and by no means was I advocating this as a supported or recommended method.

Easiest would probably be to tap into some sort of external NFS storage that could be connected to the hosts(s), not as storage for SRs, but for backups.

That is what we do.

-=Tobias