Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Server 2016 Event Logs Redirection on PVS Target device

Max Leonte

Question

Hi Guys,

I've been battling this for quite some time and I can't seem to get it to work. As the title says, I can't seem to be able to redirect App, System and Security logs to the WriteCache Drive. everuyhing I try I get err=5 which is Access denied. What's I've tried so far:

- Applied Events redirection using GPO - Events are redirected briefly during boot up. Shortly after it comes up with Err=5 and fails back to the default location.

- Applied redirection manually in the registry with the same result as above.

- Applied redirection through System/App/Security -> Properties - same results

- Created the folder D:\EventLogs manually and added NT Service\EventLog with full rights - same result

- Created the folder manually and used xcopy to copy the contents from default location to D:\EventLogs folder transferring all permissions - failed again

What does work:

The VM used to modify the image works every time no matter if the VM is in read only or write mode. It works with all the redirection methods above applied. It works even when I don't give any rights to the EvenLog user.

I also tried to apply the writeCache drive from the master VM to another read-only VM and it still fails.

Also, it works fine in the 2008R2 environment but I can't get it to work on 2016.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I checked the policy and unfortunately it was already disabled.

However, your suggestion about GPO's put me on the right track. I ended up starting from scratch with the image pointing to the default location and no redirection GPO. The only way I could get this to work was to place the registry settings for each log in a preference and apply it that way.

Who knew the Microsoft build in GPO build to redirect the logs doesn't work as it should for Server 2016.

Thanks again for all your help.