Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Add New Network To Existing Studio Resource Or Recreate?

Thomas Dooley1709157758

Question

Hey all,

Hoping someone can offer some advice or at least confirm what I suspect on the below issue:

When I inherited a particular Citrix Site from a past admin under the Hypervisor connection there is x1 Resource Connection specifying the storage and networks....total fine. Only problem is that the last admin only specified x1 VLAN in the Resource when creating it giving us a limit of only 254 odd IP addressees. 

Over the years we have grown within the business and we scaled out as needed, we have now hit the DHCP limit of 254 addresses for that VLAN that was specified so can no longer scale out and register any further desktops in some Machine Catalogs that have been told to use the resource. 

We have been given a new VLAN now and I was hoping to be able to add it to the existing resource connection alongside the current full one so it would seamlessly start using IP Addresses from the new one next time we MCS out some desktops from those catalogs BUT I am guessing its not that simple though.

Did some Googling and searching around the forums and I think I am going to have to create a new Resource Connection but this time specifying both (maybe more) VLAN Networks at the point of creation, deleting all current machines/Machine Catalogs fully, re-creating Catalogs and re-MCS'ing out everything.....is that correct or is there an easy way I am overlooking?

Many thanks for reading! 

7 answers to this question

You need to do this in powershell:

asnp citrix*

cd xdhyp:\

cd hostingunits

Add-HypHostingUnitNetwork -Literal Path -NetworkPath <Path>

Literal Path is the path to your host. Once in the "hostingunits" folder, do a DIR to see your info.  For example my info, for network path would be "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Citrix Cluster Dell" -NetworkPath "XDHyp:\Connections\vSphere 6\USDCA-Citrix.datacenter\CITRIX-Cluster.cluster\10.201.189.x.network"

nic.jpg

• Like 1

Hi guys,

The connection into the HyperVisor itself is fine, its one of the the resources below the connection that has been created with only one network (VLAN) specified (please see screenshot attached). We have Machine Catalogs using this particular Resource to MCS desktops out which we can no longer do as we have filled up that one VLANs IP Address range.

As far as I know its not easy or advised to change a Machine Catalogs Resource once it has been created and I cannot see a way to add in the new VLAN/Network to the existing Resource. 

Guessing a new Resource has to be created under the existing connection with multiple networks specified this time, then because its a new Resource the Machine Catalogs will surely have to be re-created?

Blue arrows in the screenshot show the Resource in question and the single network specified which I am wanting to add to.

Many thanks!

tempsnip.jpg

When machine catalog is created provisioning scheme is also created which defines the storage, network etc. This will be used for all future VDIs.

AFAIK, You may be able to add your new VLAN under hosting units but you cant use that for existing machine catalogs. You have to create new machine catalog and use this new VLAN. We had same issue but I didnt want to create new machine catalog. So, I used script to create a VDI, add it to machine catalog and delivery group and then from vmware, change its vlan to new one, and restart the VDI. 

On 11/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, Chris Schrameyer said:

You need to do this in powershell:

asnp citrix*

cd xdhyp:\

cd hostingunits

Add-HypHostingUnitNetwork -Literal Path -NetworkPath <Path>

Literal Path is the path to your host. Once in the "hostingunits" folder, do a DIR to see your info.  For example my info, for network path would be "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Citrix Cluster Dell" -NetworkPath "XDHyp:\Connections\vSphere 6\USDCA-Citrix.datacenter\CITRIX-Cluster.cluster\10.201.189.x.network"

nic.jpg

Hi, that works for me! My Example ist:

Add-HypHostingUnitNetwork -LiteralPath "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Test-Cluster" -NetworkPath  "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Test-Cluster\Test-VLAN-100.network"

And now, you can see it for a new Machine Catalog.

Help from Powershell:

get-help -Examples Add-HypHostingUnitNetwork