Welcome to our new Citrix community!

GSLB handing out the same IP every time.

Abhijith KS

Hi All,

Can someone tell me on what basis does Netscaler GSLB hand out the VIP addresses when the client does a DNS lookup. I have a GSLB set up with 4 services configured and I see that most of the DNS responses are with only 1 ip.

There is no weight configured nor GSLB persistence, so just want to understand if Netscaler has a control on what IP to hand over at the time of DNS response. 

"The static proximity method for GSLB uses an IP-address based static proximity database to determine the proximity between the client’s local DNS server and the GSLB sites. The NetScaler appliance responds with the IP address of a site that best matches the proximity criteria."

If you test from the same location you might get the same ip.

Also if you use active-passive deployment  you might get the same ip until the site becomes unreachable.

That is right Mihai, I have 2 sites for example :
Site A & Site B

Site A subnet - 10.75.x.x

Site B Subnet : 10.200.x.x

Site A has GSLB services of 10.75.1.1 , 10.75.1.100 &  10.200.1.3 , 10.200.1.7

Site B also have the same GSLB services.

So whenever I or any other user from any region query they get proximity based IP's and we either get 10.75.1.100 or 10.200.1.7 every time. Atleast 90 % of the time.

to be honest i always used gslb only with 1 services per site for 1 domain name. So 1 domain name and 2 services.

In your case i see you have 2 services/site for 1 domain name. is that true? Why would you need 2 vips for the same content on the same site ?

Using static proximity you will get the same ip   bases on proximity.

Yes only 1 domain name and 2 VIP's in each house. So when you configure cross data center we have 4 services i.e. 2 from Site A and 2 from site B configured in both the houses. And this is the standard way becasuse of DNS. When you have a DNS delegation configured on your LDNS the traffic can either hit site A or site B. 
What if DNS query from LDNS hits site A NetScaler and if your site A VIP's are down for some reason. In that case, there will be intermittent failure. In order to avoid this, we configure both the services in both of the houses.
And I believe, this is the standard way to configure GSLB.

• 1 year later...