Welcome to our new Citrix community!

mcsdiff.vhdx with mixed Citrix Versions

Cathy Leik

Question

Hello - we have updated our master Win10 MCS image to VDA 1909 but the Delivery Controller is still at 7.15 CU4.   When the image is deployed we see the D: drive but there is nothing but the Recycle Bin and System Information folders on it.    Are there any ramifications with the disk cache running this way until we get the DC updated?

3 answers to this question

In our test environment I upgraded the back end and the MCS non persistent image to 1909 and the MCS disk cache functions as expected.  I also tested the back end upgrade to 1909 while leaving the MCS non persistent image on 7.15 CU4 and the disk cache functions as it did in 7.15.  So the way forward for us is to upgrade the back end first which we are planning in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

To clarify we've updated our non persistent VDA image to 1909 to test Teams offload support.  MCSIO is installed and enabled on the Machine Catalog.  When I deploy the image the write cache drive is attached and assigned a drive letter but no mcsdif.vhdx file is created,  With the back end still 7.15 CU4 I thought maybe the write cache would function as it does with the 7.15 VDA where all writes go to disk vs file, however it doesn't look like any writes are hitting it at all.   We plan on updating the back end but am trying to come up with the best order of events and Teams support is the highest priority.  

Having the same issue, we're on 1906 front / backend however. It's unfortunate because this feature works so well with PVS, but with MCS I have never been able to get it to function.

Even looking at the ram cache performance monitors for Citrix, it is not able to sample any data, which indicates to me it isn't working at all. Unfortunately my work is dead set on MCS, but this feature to me is absolutely critical for MCS to be equal to PVS from a performance aspect.

I've got a case with citrix and they did say it should be creating the file, but am waiting to here back from them as they wanted CDF traces from the preparation VM. We'll see what they say.