Welcome to our new Citrix community!

URL Links opening by default with CITRIX FTA Launcher

Andrei Vlad1709158202

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm having a small issue where I'm seeing on one of our desktops, that all .URL type of shortcuts are to be opened with "Citrix FTA Launcher", where as other type of shortcuts, like .LNK shortcuts seem not to be affected by this - having all this said, both type of shortcuts work fine, however the effects are :

a) cosmetic, and it has been reported by some people, mainly because the .URL affected ones dont properly apply the icon set via GPO

b) on the URL ones, if i click on CHANGE, and select "INTERNET BROWSER" as an option, then i click OK, even if i DO NOT click on APPLY, it will change the association for all .URL types, and boom the icons re-appear and now the GENERAL tab on the shortcut says Opens With "Internet Browser"

c) on other Citrix Desktops i manage, this is not present, although i tried to keep them inline with updates/apps installations.

The Citrix policies are the same across all Citrix Desktops, however GPO wise there are some differences since i do not manage them, but i did give this topic a read, and as far as the settings mentioned there go, they seem to be the same ( https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/385357-users-are-prompted-to-specify-internet-browser-when-you-click-on-a-link-in-outlook-2016/ )

Any idea where i should be looking at, to change this behaviour? As i said, they are working but its more of a cosmetic issue, and im not getting where that Citrix FTA Launcher comes from.

The environment is a 2016 OS, with CVAD 1909 recently upgraded from 7.15 LTSR if that helps.

1 answer to this question

On 11/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, Andrei Vlad1709158202 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm having a small issue where I'm seeing on one of our desktops, that all .URL type of shortcuts are to be opened with "Citrix FTA Launcher", where as other type of shortcuts, like .LNK shortcuts seem not to be affected by this - having all this said, both type of shortcuts work fine, however the effects are :

a) cosmetic, and it has been reported by some people, mainly because the .URL affected ones dont properly apply the icon set via GPO

b) on the URL ones, if i click on CHANGE, and select "INTERNET BROWSER" as an option, then i click OK, even if i DO NOT click on APPLY, it will change the association for all .URL types, and boom the icons re-appear and now the GENERAL tab on the shortcut says Opens With "Internet Browser"

c) on other Citrix Desktops i manage, this is not present, although i tried to keep them inline with updates/apps installations.

The Citrix policies are the same across all Citrix Desktops, however GPO wise there are some differences since i do not manage them, but i did give this topic a read, and as far as the settings mentioned there go, they seem to be the same ( https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/385357-users-are-prompted-to-specify-internet-browser-when-you-click-on-a-link-in-outlook-2016/ )

Any idea where i should be looking at, to change this behaviour? As i said, they are working but its more of a cosmetic issue, and im not getting where that Citrix FTA Launcher comes from.

The environment is a 2016 OS, with CVAD 1909 recently upgraded from 7.15 LTSR if that helps.

Hi everyone,
Just finally managed to fix this - we have figured out in the end, that there were 2 File Type Association XMLs defined (in here Computer Config | Policies | Admin Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer) in 2 separate GPOs, and the one applying last on the non-working desktops got removed (weird enough it had the URL FTA defined, maybe it was defined wrong, but removing it fixed our issue)