Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to migrate or convert Hyper-V Gen1 VMs to Gen2 with PVS 7.15

Clive Davidson1709159129

Question

Looking for suggestions / comment on how to go about migrating an operational Citrix site with PVS Hyper-V Gen1 VMs (booting via PXE) to Gen2 VMs. Due to ongoing VDA crashes pointing to potential NIC driver issue, M$oft suggested we change NIC from Legacy (Gen1) to Synthetic (Gen2).

Environment:
Citrix 7.15 LTSR CU3 Site split across two locations.
2x PVS 7.15 CU3 hosts (Windows Server 2016) that stream several vDisks
4 Master Target Device hosts to create and manage images (Windows Server 2016 and Server 2008 R2 SP1)
Several XenApp VDAs that access streamed vDisk from PVS (Windows Server 2016 and Server 2008 R2 SP1)
We are only running XenApp VDAs, No XenDesktop VDAs 

All the Master Target Device and VDA are Gen1 Hyper-V machines using a Legacy NIC.
We use one DHCP scope. 
We are not using PVS PXE. 
The MTD and VDA stream a vDisk by PXE booting to obtain a DHCP IP address and then using DHCP options 66 and 67 to access ARDBP32.bin on the PVS hosts.

When the site was first built, Gen2 machines were not compatible with either MCS or PVS.
Gen2 machines are now compatible with PVS BUT... we cannot have Gen1 and Gen2 VMs sharing the same DHCP scope because the DHCP scope options settings differ between Gen1 and Gen2.  Reference https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX208742

I am not sure if a test Gen2 group that is setup to boot using UEFI bootstrap  will work alongside the existing farm.
I am not finding a lot of info on how to either create a test Gen2 group or plan a site migration to Gen2 within minimal downtime. 

3 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Clive Davidson1709159129 said:

Looking for suggestions / comment on how to go about migrating an operational Citrix site with PVS Hyper-V Gen1 VMs (booting via PXE) to Gen2 VMs. Due to ongoing VDA crashes pointing to potential NIC driver issue, M$oft suggested we change NIC from Legacy (Gen1) to Synthetic (Gen2).

Environment:
Citrix 7.15 LTSR CU3 Site split across two locations.
2x PVS 7.15 CU3 hosts (Windows Server 2016) that stream several vDisks
4 Master Target Device hosts to create and manage images (Windows Server 2016 and Server 2008 R2 SP1)
Several XenApp VDAs that access streamed vDisk from PVS (Windows Server 2016 and Server 2008 R2 SP1)
We are only running XenApp VDAs, No XenDesktop VDAs 

All the Master Target Device and VDA are Gen1 Hyper-V machines using a Legacy NIC.
We use one DHCP scope. 
We are not using PVS PXE. 
The MTD and VDA stream a vDisk by PXE booting to obtain a DHCP IP address and then using DHCP options 66 and 67 to access ARDBP32.bin on the PVS hosts.

When the site was first built, Gen2 machines were not compatible with either MCS or PVS.
Gen2 machines are now compatible with PVS BUT... we cannot have Gen1 and Gen2 VMs sharing the same DHCP scope because the DHCP scope options settings differ between Gen1 and Gen2.  Reference https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX208742

I am not sure if a test Gen2 group that is setup to boot using UEFI bootstrap  will work alongside the existing farm.
I am not finding a lot of info on how to either create a test Gen2 group or plan a site migration to Gen2 within minimal downtime. 

You will probably need to do a "reverse imaging" on the VDA images. You will proably come across a good guide if you google "PVS reverse imaging"

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX202159 (more info on why you need to) 

I am setting up a workaround to keep the machines as Gen1 but use a legacy NIC and Synthetic NIC.   
I'm going to follow the Reverse Imaging option on some lab machines to try update the existing ones.

I am also looking at the option to create a new Master Target Device with two NICs, then run the PVS imaging wizard and under Imaging Options, select Recreate an existing vDisk.
ALTHOUGH... I am cautious of this option because I suspect this action is destructive to the existing vDisk and does not actually make a new vDisk based on an older vDisk piggy backing on the newer boot disk.   

5 hours ago, Clive Davidson1709159129 said:

I am setting up a workaround to keep the machines as Gen1 but use a legacy NIC and Synthetic NIC.   
I'm going to follow the Reverse Imaging option on some lab machines to try update the existing ones.

I am also looking at the option to create a new Master Target Device with two NICs, then run the PVS imaging wizard and under Imaging Options, select Recreate an existing vDisk.
ALTHOUGH... I am cautious of this option because I suspect this action is destructive to the existing vDisk and does not actually make a new vDisk based on an older vDisk piggy backing on the newer boot disk.   

Recently one of our customers keept their VDAs as Gen 1 and then moved them to new Hyper-v 2019, Their experience was that the servers where much slower. Not sure if thats was related because they did several things at the same time. But my recomendation was not to run them in 2019 Before we were able to transfer them to a newe hardvare version.

I have never tried with the 2 nic option, but be carefull on where your streaming traffic end up, it tends to be confusing.