Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Question

Hello,

I have three, newly installed servers running 7.2 Xenserver. I have attemped to add a new SR (SMB ISO storage) and a NFS share for virtualdisks.

Every time I attempt to add the SMB share, I get an error of "Unable to mount directory specified in device configuration request".

Things I have tried:

- Hosting the share on different devices FreeNAS and on two separate windows machines, all of which can see eachother on the network and can connect to the network share just fine.

- The actual servers are able to ping the share device.

- I have tried adding the share via commandline putty.

I would be very greatful if someone could help me on this, I can supply logs but am currently unsure how.

Here is my network setup if that also helps?

Server 1: 192.168.50.21 Mask: 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Server 2: 192.168.50.22 ^

Server 3: 192.168.50.23 ^

Windows Machine - With the share : 192.168.50.16 Mask: 255.255.0.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Kind regards,

Jonathan

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

XenServer is probably still SMB1, also you may just be running into DNS resolution. Try via IP address

instead of name.  Also, to use SMB for a SR I think you need to be licensed.

--Alan--

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply, I was able to sucsessfully add the share to all of the xenserver machines after enableing SMB1 on my windows machine.

For anybody else with the same issue:

This is instructions on how to enable SMB1 on windows: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107605-enable-disable-smb1-file-sharing-protocol-windows.html

Thanks a ton for your help!

Regards,

Jonathan

I tried to get rid of SMB1 and still can't. Its insane that some systems still rely on it with support 

just saying, "yea, we are working on that..." Ugggh, this is 2019 for heavens sake...  So if you are

like me and can't get rid of SMB1 do all of the other security measures you can such as not 

letting people be admin of their computers, firewall restrictions, group policy restrictions, 

mandatory windows updates, etc ,etc. 

--Alan--

On 11/2/2019 at 8:48 PM, Jonathan Poynter1709161419 said:

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply, I was able to sucsessfully add the share to all of the xenserver machines after enableing SMB1 on my windows machine.

For anybody else with the same issue:

This is instructions on how to enable SMB1 on windows: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107605-enable-disable-smb1-file-sharing-protocol-windows.html

Thanks a ton for your help!

Regards,

Jonathan

I have tried connecting to my windows machine via IP address and this is the error code that keeps popping up.

I have also tried using a raspberry pi hosting a dns server as well and using the window machines name on the network. which throws back a failed to resolve host name error. 

all versions of smb are enabled as well (not sure if this is the cause so i am about to test it)

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.f66821a011abdbb2d97bc934f772bdc0.png