Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7.15 ltsr CU4 apps not showing on desktops

Bruce McDonald

Question

Hi All,

I upgraded my Citrix environment yesterday from 7.11 to 7.15 ltsr CU4. I also upgrade Netscaler from VPX 11 to 12. I have around 9-10 desktops in the environment and now around 3-4 of them are not showing any apps pinned to the background when some users launch a desktop from storefront. They get this,

image.thumb.png.00f53ec5b0354642e5edef6860dc3fa4.png

Strangely, it does load the tiles (apps) on other occasions. It seems to be intermittent (and very annoying). So, I have 4 machine catalogs/delivery groups and this issue is only happening on one of the MC/DGs, the other 3 are reporting no issues. All the servers run the same OS, Windows Server 2012. UPM is enabled and has also being upgraded to the latest 7.15 ltsr. I have logged a ticket with Citrix but have had no reply yet hence why I am posting on this forum.

I found this forum which seems similar to mine but it doesn't appear to have done anything https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/398127-start-menu-shows-blank-icons-on-vda-715-ltsr-cu2-with-upm-enabled/  I tried adding the registry key to clear the cache. I am at a bit of a loss really because its only happening on 40% of my desktops. 

I am also running Citrix FAS as I have SAML turned on in Netscaler which is integrated into Okta.

If anyone has come across this issue I would appreciate any ideas you have on a fix. In the meantime I'm hoping for a reply from Citrix Support. Thank you.

2 answers to this question

We have that problem, too (windows server 2012r2 - 7.15). Some users don't see any programs. After some search i found a forum thread (link below).

Please try the following (hopfully it helps):

• Logoff (user)
  • Delete (all) the files below the folder
    • \\server.domain.tld\folder\<USERNAME>\profile\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches\
      • generally 6 Files (*.db)
  • Logon (user)
    • wait at least 30 sec. 
      • Files are created new 
      • User still sees now icons (don't worry)
  • Logoff 
  • Logon
  • icons should be there again

Credits: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/391754-windows-2016-start-menu-blank-icons-with-715-cu1/

11 hours ago, John Meier1709161208 said:

We have that problem, too (windows server 2012r2 - 7.15). Some users don't see any programs. After some search i found a forum thread (link below).

Please try the following (hopfully it helps):

• Logoff (user)
  • Delete (all) the files below the folder
    • \\server.domain.tld\folder\<USERNAME>\profile\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches\
      • generally 6 Files (*.db)
  • Logon (user)
    • wait at least 30 sec. 
      • Files are created new 
      • User still sees now icons (don't worry)
  • Logoff 
  • Logon
  • icons should be there again

Credits: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/391754-windows-2016-start-menu-blank-icons-with-715-cu1/

Thanks for your reply. I have had some success with this issue since I first posted. Citrix Support got back to me and told me to run the vda cleanup utility on the affected servers as it would appear they have not upgraded properly. So I did this, reinstalled vda 7.15 ltsr cu4 and it has worked. One thing to note, after the reinstall of vda the server reboots and the desktop didn’t launch correctly until I logged on directly and ran gpupdate /force. Thanks