Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Office 365 Activation Files with FSLogix Office Container not working

Marc Kuhn

Question

Hi guys

i'm setting up my first Citrix Virtual Apps environment with Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 1906.2 and FSLogix for Office Container. Also i have installed and configured Office 365 ProPlus. Everytime i log into the desktop and start one of the Office apps the first time, it comes up with the Office activation screen. I can just close it and the application and start it again and here we go, it works.

As i saw, this action will create me the activation files i need. This nice article is a very nice guide to configure FSLogix:

https://www.christiaanbrinkhoff.com/2019/04/27/the-little-unknown-secrets-of-using-office-365-proplus-and-office-2019-on-a-virtual-desktop-environment-survival-guide/

So, i Included the Office Licensing into the Office Container and did a gpupdate /force and even a Reboot for safety. When i login again i still need start Office one time and receive the activation message. After closing and starting i see again the two files, which are created. When i log out and open the vhdx-File on the file server to check if they are in the container, that is true:

image.thumb.png.d545c1cd7f1ddfcfe0fb4ae2002ee74b.png

When i try then to relogin again i still need to activat the Office, also i don't see the activation files anymore in the container. Is there anything additional which i am missing here?

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Marc

6 answers to this question

Hi Ahilal

my issue was, that we have implemented a loginscript, which deleted on every login those files and also a reg file. It looks like this:

## Office 365 License ##

# Remove Identities #
Remove-Item -Path "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\Identities" -Recurse

# Remove License files
Remove-Item "$($env:USERPROFILE)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Licensing\*.*"

One of my collegues had an issue that if that license files are older than 30 days, the users are not able to work with Office 365 anymore. So he decided to delete them and let the users Office 365 create new files after every login.

As i'm using now FSLogix i want to check that first before i implement it the same way and remarked those lines. I don't know if anybody has the same issue with older license files and if it is recommended to delete them regurarly.

Did you check if your files are created within the session?

Best regards,

Marc

Marc would you be able to confirm the settings you have in place to get Office licensing working consistently? I for instance have no issues with my Office licensing but we have some users that are prompted every time, and others that are prompted randomly.  But I have a feeling we need to make some changes, here's what we have configured now:

1. We have confirmed that Shared Activation is working.
  2. We are saving the Office activations tokens in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Licensing
  3. We are actively deleting the tokens so the use must activate each time.  When we saved the tokens they didn't see to auto-renew and this helped a lot but didn't solve the problem.

From the screenshots in this thread I'm seeing the 'Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\FSLogix\Office 365 Containers\Include Office activation data in container' which we currently don't have enabled.  We have separate profile and Office containers for each user.  

I'm guessing we should do the following:

1. Remove deleting the licensing tokens.
  2. Enable the 'Include Office activation data in container' setting.

If you could tell me how you have all of this configured it would be greatly appreciated.

Brett