Question

So, I am trying to convert a VPS to a raw file

mkdir my-virtual-machine

tar -xf <.xva file> -C my-virtual-machine

xva-img -p disk-export my-virtual-machine/Ref\:20/ disk.img

However, tar always returns error:

tar: Ref:20/00010239: implausibly old time stamp 1970-01-01 08:00:00

tar: Ref:20/00010239.checksum: implausibly old time stamp 1970-01-01 08:00:00

It did create disk.img with the correct size. However, when I imported to a new KVM system, it could not find out the current partitions, so cannot boot. It's booted to dracut emergency shell.

I wonder if that warnings could be the reason? If yes, how to avoid that? I already chose verification after exporting from Citrix XenCenter.

Please advice.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

I've never used xva-img, but /Ref:\20 means disk 20, right ? 

--Alan--

So when decompressing the xva file, the content is extracted to my-virtual-machine folder, with one ova.xml file and a Ref:20 folder. I am not sure how the number appears, because with the same VPS, the first time I exported (without verification), the folder name was Ref:6. Then the second time exporting with verification, the folder is Ref:20.

5 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

I've seen that error before for VDI exports. As long as it succeeds it should be OK. Does it work or does it fail when you see that error message?

-=Tobias

When I saw the error, I made a search, this thread is saying that can be corrupt archives. However, I have exported with verification option, which Xenserver / Xencenter should verify it already. I also double checked the date on the server, it's correct. Not sure why the date of extracted content is 01.01.1970. I exported from a Xenserver 7.6, with XenCenter 8.0. Tested exporting directly with xe command in CLI, but still the same error.