Welcome to our new Citrix community!

RDS License Type (Internal vs External) to work with XenApp 7.15

Pearson VUE ATS

Question

We are in the process of standing up our XenApp 7.15 environment on Windows 2016.  We have been working to get the RDS Cals upgraded from Windows 2008 R2 to 2016.  I am being told that now I need a count of internal and external users.  This was not a previous requirement.  A cal was a cal regardless of whether a user hit the Secure Gateway External URL vs the Secure Gateway Internal URL.  So can someone please shed some light on this new requirement?

Trying to find information but not finding it.

We are not sure exactly how to divy up our users as we've been running on a concurrent rather than named license structure.

Thanks in Advance.

7 answers to this question

Thanks James, That's what I thought as well.  I can't seem to get an answer on why we are getting this question internally, but thankful for your response and the sanity check.  I was questioning if this changed in regards to XenApp 7.15 requirements or Windows 2016, but couldn't find anything there either.  A cal is a cal indeed :)

I havent found anything on external vs internal but I do want to piggy back off of your question.  I am also standing up a new XenApp 7.15 environment with Windows server 2016.  We only use virtualized Apps, we do not give users a virtualized desktop.  I am trying to figure out which RDP licenses to purchase.  I work for a non-profit and money is extremely limited so I dont want to purchase the wrong thing since there is a big price difference in just the Windows Server User CAL or a Windows Server Remote Desktop Services CAL.  Does anyone know which to purchase?