Welcome to our new Citrix community!

PVS vdisk write cache on device RAM show incorrect on target device.

VirtualAB

Question

Hello all,

I'm having weird issue as mentioned below.

Citrix PVS vdisk with cache on device memory (set 15360 MB).

Booted one target device, from the "virtual disk status" on TD i can see only 3564 MB as cache on ram size.

VM rebooting as soon as cache(3564) got full.

What am i missing here..plz help me to get the correct cache size on TD.

TIA.

7 answers to this question

The way PVS RAM cache works is that the legacy bootstrap reserves the memory for the cache and hides it from the OS so it usually does not report the memory as usable by the OS even though it does report the real memory, the OS reports only usable memory.  This technique  no longer works with the latest Windows OSes (windows 10 1709 and newer)  because it can not be mapped by the PVS drivers to use for cache with the latest security changes to the OS.     We recommend always using Ram cache with overflow from now on. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Carl, much appreciated.

But in my case, on TD Virtual disk status it's not showing the size of the cache what i set on vdisk. (Ex: I set 15 GB cache on device RAM, but i see RAM Cache Size 3560 MB).

As soon as 3560 MB got full, VM is rebooting.

Like I mentioned above, it's pretty old setup and have various reasons why i can't go with over flow to hard disk option at the moment.

so for RAM Cache if the cache becomes full then you will eventually BSOD,  that is the draw back if using RAM only and why we recommend using the RAM cache with overflow to hard disk which allows for the RAM cache to be flushed to disk when it becomes full thus preventing the crash.  When using RAM you really have to understand your workload and size it so you do not fill RAM cache, this also means that you should not use a pagefile because that will come from RAM.