Welcome to our new Citrix community!

PVS v7.15.15 Windows Server 2016 Target Device Boot Issue

Maithil Patel

Question

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help with this issue.  We are running into an issue where our newly created Windows Server 2016 PVS image is not able to boot on any target device.  This is a new image created with Application Layering (v1908).  We are not having any issue booting our other non Application Layered Windows Server 2008 R2 PVS image.  We have disabled Windows Firewall on the OS layer and re-created our platform layer with VDA v7.15.4 and PVS Target Device version that comes with XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR CU4.  Antivirus is not part of the equation.  We are using a BDM boot CD as is the case with our working Server 2008 R2 image.  Below are the details of our environment.

XenDesktop v7.15 LTSR CU4

Application Layering v1908

VDA v7.15.4

PVS v7.15.15.11 (2 PVS servers. Image does not boot from either)

Hypervisor: VMware ESXi 6.0 (VM Version 11)

VMware Tools v11

It seems that the Server 2016 PVS image is found and it begins the boot then we get the black screen with the PVS information and then we get stuck there.

Has any one run into this problem before?

Booting1.jpg

Booting2.jpg

7 answers to this question

I see that you are using version 11 of the hardware so I am assuming you checked out the following known issues: 

Even though this says imagining you can not have the SATA controller in the image with the PVS target software. 

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX200969

Issue 1

Citrix Provisioning Services (PVS) imaging fails for Target Device on ESXi 6.0 with VM version 10 and 11. 

Solution 1

ESXi VM Hardware version 10 and 11 include a SATA controller for CD/DVD Media by default. If the SATA and SCSI controller are present on the PVS Target Device, the target will fail to boot. PVS relies on the SCSI controller, SATA is the only one that can be removed. To resolve this issue, change the Virtual Device Node for the CD/DVD Media from SATA to IDE and remove the SATA controller. This must be performed prior to installing the operating system.

Complete the following steps:

While creating a New Virtual Machine from vSphere Web Client, under Edit Settings -> Customize hardware -> Virtual Hardware, change the Virtual Device Node from SATA to IDE for CD/DVD Media.

After selecting the corresponding IDE radio Button, the Remove option for New SATA Controller becomes active. Remove it by clicking the "X".

Note: If the Virtual Machine is already created, use the preceding steps to remove the controller by going to Edit Settings -> Virtual hardware in the vSphere Web Client.

23 minutes ago, Carl Fallis said:

I see that you are using version 11 of the hardware so I am assuming you checked out the following known issues: 

Even though this says imagining you can not have the SATA controller in the image with the PVS target software. 

Issue 1

Citrix Provisioning Services (PVS) imaging fails for Target Device on ESXi 6.0 with VM version 10 and 11. 

Solution 1

ESXi VM Hardware version 10 and 11 include a SATA controller for CD/DVD Media by default. If the SATA and SCSI controller are present on the PVS Target Device, the target will fail to boot. PVS relies on the SCSI controller, SATA is the only one that can be removed. To resolve this issue, change the Virtual Device Node for the CD/DVD Media from SATA to IDE and remove the SATA controller. This must be performed prior to installing the operating system.

While creating a New Virtual Machine from vSphere Web Client, under Edit Settings -> Customize hardware -> Virtual Hardware, change the Virtual Device Node from SATA to IDE for CD/DVD Media.

After selecting the corresponding IDE radio Button, the Remove option for New SATA Controller becomes active. Remove it by clicking the "X".

Note: If the Virtual Machine is already created, use the preceding steps to remove the controller by going to Edit Settings -> Virtual hardware in the vSphere Web Client.

Hi Carl.  Thank you for your response.  I had not found this known issue on my own.  I'll follow the solution to see if it works.  I have one question.  The solution says to change the CD/DVD media to IDE and remove SATA controller.  Can this be done in a new version of the OS layer (since we are using app layering) and then make sure the target devices also have IDE for CD/DVD without the SATA controller?  Or will I need to re-create the OS layer from scratch after making this change?

On 10/9/2019 at 1:52 PM, Carl Fallis said:

Issue 1

Solution 1

I recreated the OS layer and platform layer, making sure the CD/DVD media was IDE and NOT SATA.  I'm still running into the same problem.  Any other ideas?

15 hours ago, Shane Sorensen1709160797 said:

Did you find a solution to this problem? Curious if you disabled the taskoffload settings in registry or on the NIC properties of both PVS server and target?

Do you get the same results in private image mode vs standard?

Haven't found a solution yet.  Working with Citrix support on the issue so hopefully we'll find the problem soon.  Taskoffload has been disabled on both the target and the PVS server.  Got the same result in private and standard mode. 

Did you guys figure this out? I have the same issue running version 7.15.15.11. I am trying to create a target image with a VM running on Hyper-V. Recently upgraded to 7.15.15.11 on the PVS server. The server will not boot into the OS so I finish the PVS image of the OS to a new vdisk. I see the windows logo for a moment and then the Citrix Provisioning Services information. It hangs and never boots. I removed the SCSI controller. Any ideas? 

image.pngimage.thumb.png.e2b68f8ea2af9b6c5c9c7254f9b36009.png

image.png