Welcome to our new Citrix community!

App Layering support for UEFI

Brad Munson1709155772

Question

14 answers to this question

On 1/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, Ben Tusa said:

I'm using AL 1911 and was able to make UEFI work with VMware but having issues exporting that image to PVS and getting it to boot there using UEFI.  I contacted Citrix Support.  They didn't seem too confident but ended up coming back saying UEFI is not supported with PVS.  I don't really see any documentation clarifying that either way.  I just wanted to make sure before I go back to using BIOS in our designs.

Sorry, for the delay.

PVS does support UEFI, but the PVS connector in App Layering is not ready to publish images in the proper format needed for PVS. They may have meant that, but worded it improperly(?).

Some people have been able to alter the UEFI enabled image, published via our VMware connector to vhd, vhdx. I believe there is some powershell involved. I would be leery to use that image in a production environment, since who knows what else is missing. Plus it is not supported.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2019 at 7:29 AM, Raymond Colon said:

Our next release, 1910, due out this week, will support GPT and UEFI,  also Gen2 VMs, only in Hyper-V.  The subsequent release, 1911, should have support for GPT and UEFI for VMware.

This is great info.  We're (finally) starting our Win7->10 refresh.  We're on VMware, is there a guestimate when 1911 might be available?  Seems the choice of BIOS vs UEFI really has to be made at the start. 

On 10/11/2019 at 1:47 PM, Raymond Colon said:

We do not have a tentative date, but mid to late November, would by my guess. Bear in mind there may be some additional steps to make it work with VMware, full details are not available yet.

I'm using AL 1911 and was able to make UEFI work with VMware but having issues exporting that image to PVS and getting it to boot there using UEFI.  I contacted Citrix Support.  They didn't seem too confident but ended up coming back saying UEFI is not supported with PVS.  I don't really see any documentation clarifying that either way.  I just wanted to make sure before I go back to using BIOS in our designs.

6 minutes ago, Raymond Colon said:

Sorry, for the delay.

PVS does support UEFI, but the PVS connector in App Layering is not ready to publish images in the proper format needed for PVS. They may have meant that, but worded it improperly(?).

Some people have been able to alter the UEFI enabled image, published via our VMware connector to vhdx. I believe there is some powershell involved. I would be leery to use that image in a production environment, since who knows what else is missing. Plus it is not supported.

Thanks for the clarification.  So PVS supports UEFI, AL supports UEFI but the PVS connector does not.  Curious if this is on the roadmap?  I might suggest adding a note in the documentation about the PVS connector, it's not very clear on the website when looking for information about UEFI.  Perhaps a tablet outlining where each Citrix component supports UEFI.

I am using the PVS Connector Script to Convert VHD to VHDX https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX226060 for converting app layering PVS images to VHDX and versioning.  The versioning greatly simplifies management of app layered images.  I have also leveraged mbr2gpt.exe included with Server 2019 with that script to successfully covert the vhdx to GPT/UEFI and Boot an app layer generated UEFI PVS VM.

Trying to setup App Layering on Nutanix AHV. From what I read offloading compositing is only supported on HyperV, VMware VSphere and Google Cloud). I understand Offload is required for UEFI support. 

Does that mean Nutanix VM with App Layering will not support UEFI BIOS? 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-app-layering/4/connect.html#about-offloading-layer-compositing-google-cloud-hyper-v-and-vmware-vsphere-only