Welcome to our new Citrix community!

"PVS Cache in RAM with overflow on hard disk" not overflowing on disk but in server...

Thijs van den Brink

Question

Hi all, my first post here, mainly because i can Always find the answer to my questions here... but not today.

i have a PVS setup i inherited, that is a set of ESX machines, and a Citrix PVS 7.15 CU4 on top of it, with a monthly created Golden image i create using a detailed manual.

lately, VDI's are getting stuck in Maintenance Mode, due to them booting slow, and then Citrix tries 3 times and gives up. this is as-designed.

I applied the recommendation from https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/373220-is-it-possible-to-delay-vda-registration-to-xendesktop-76-controller-after-vm-startup/ adding time for the VM to really be ready before the desktop is reported ready, but desktops now can take up to 50 minutes before reporting in.

I have set the disks as "PVS Cache in RAM with overflow on hard disk" and the VM's all have an empty harddisk in it's config, but i am not sure if and how Citrix uses them.

What i do see is a lot of files similar to "ABCVPXD106-039_XD-vDisk-1909-W12.vhdx" on my PVS machine in "D:\vDisks\WriteCache",

with "ABCVPXD106-039" being the name of a vm, and "XD-vDisk-1909-W12" being the name of the vDisk i applied.

This leads me to believe Citrix is not using my supplied harddisk at all, and defaults back to using my PVS server, thus causing the boots to take forever.

Can anyone tell me if my assumption is a good one, and how i can tell Citrix to actually use the supplied disks, and not the PVS server. (please dont say scrap the VM's and recreate them)

juicy detail, is that i have deleted some of the Original attached 16GB Thinprovisioned harddisks that were bloated, and replaced them with empty 12 GB thin provisioned disks. (needed because my volume is nearing it's capacity-limit)

Could it be that Citrix somehow gets a cache-disk-identifier handed when the VM is imported into  my Device-collection, and not using the "whatever-disk-is-attached-to-the-vm" and that i am slowly killing my environment with the disk-replacements?

Best regards,

Thijs van den Brink

4 answers to this question

2 AM here (ok, almost) and using a bit of powershell, i have remote-formatted the drives, and now they boot pretty fast.

most of the script was borrowed here: https://arconnetblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/12/format-drive-remotely/ and the drive probably needs to be without a driveletter, i modded that this way: -->Get-Volume -Drive $driveLetter | Get-Partition | Remove-PartitionAccessPath -accesspath $driveLetter":"<--

Glad you figured it out. 

For more info, check this article: http://knowcitrix.com/recommended-install-order-for-preparing-target-device-captured-by-provisioning-server-to-deploy-vdisk/. Little confusing but it works.

There are different ways to enable cache on disk:

• On fresh OS, add 10 GB(or how much you want for cache) drive for cache. 
  • Add cache drive to the PVS master image after OS is captured to PVS.
  • Once OS is installed, add cache drive to it, format as NTFS and remove OS drive, and convert it to template.

Formatting as NTFS is mandatory.