Welcome to our new Citrix community!

OneDrive removed in OS layer but back in new platform layer and cannot be removed.

Ross Faverty1709158252

Question

App Layer 19.8.0.11

In our OS layer (Windows 10 1803) I have taken the following steps to remove OneDrive:

1. Uninstalled OneDrive from Control Panel

2. Disabled and deleted OneDrive tasks in Task Scheduler

3. Modified the OneDrive GPO to prevent OneDrive usage

4. Deleted OneDriveSetup.exe from %systemroot%\syswow64

5. Rebooted and double-checked all of the above - all changes stuck. 

6. Finalized the OS Layer. 

When creating a new Platform Layer from the same OS layer/Version all of the above are implemented except for OneDriveSetup.exe and its reliant files are back in the %systemroot%\syswow64 directory and unlike in the OS layer I cannot delete them. I'm logged in as local admin and local admin is the owner of said files but it says that I need permission from local admin to modify/delete those files. I went back to my OS layer (created a new version) and confirmed that all of the steps that I took previously have stuck including deleting OneDriveSetup.exe from %systemroot%\syswow64.

My point is, this is not an issue in the OS layer so why onedrivesetup.exe back in the platform layer and why cant I delete it?

The reason for us wanting to delete OneDriveSetup.exe in particular is that per ControlUp reporting OneDriveSetup.exe is always a top CPU & IOPS consumer across our machines/images.

1 answer to this question