Your session has expired -> Portal does not load -> deleting cookie helps

tylital520

Hi,

Our environment:

Citrix Apps and Desktops 1906
ADC VPX 12.1 53.12
RfWebUi portal theme with customizations and EULA on front page
Users access ADC Portal via web-browser

When a user logs in to ADC Portal and clicks an app or desktop after being idle for ~15 minutes the portal seems to first log the user out, but then shows a message "Your session has expired. Please logon again to continue" with a logon button. When a user clicks the button he/she sees "Citrix Gateway" and a spinning wheel, but the portal never loads. The user has to delete the cookie to be able to access the login screen again, and has to re-type username and password.

I've been going through some session time-out settings to figure out what could be the problem, but I am not sure if there are some other session settings I should check besides these:

On StoreFront servers:
Manage Receiver for Web Sites -> Configure -> Session Settings -> Session timeout: 15min

On NetScaler:
Traffic Management -> Load Balancing -> Virtual Servers -> StoreFront LB Server -> Persistance -> Time-out (mins): 15
Citrix Gateway -> Global Settings -> Change Global Settings -> Client Experience -> Session Time-out (mins): 30
Citrix Gateway -> Global Settings -> Change Global Settings -> Client Experience -> Client Idle Time-out (mins): empty
Citrix Gateway -> Policies -> Session -> Session Profiles -> Nothing is configured on this level, so global settings apply

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any idea what could be causing this?

The following article did not solve the issue: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX204766

23 hours ago, tylital520 said:

Hi,

Our environment:

Citrix Apps and Desktops 1906
ADC VPX 12.1 53.12
RfWebUi portal theme with customizations and EULA on front page
Users access ADC Portal via web-browser

When a user logs in to ADC Portal and clicks an app or desktop after being idle for ~15 minutes the portal seems to first log the user out, but then shows a message "Your session has expired. Please logon again to continue" with a logon button. When a user clicks the button he/she sees "Citrix Gateway" and a spinning wheel, but the portal never loads. The user has to delete the cookie to be able to access the login screen again, and has to re-type username and password.

I've been going through some session time-out settings to figure out what could be the problem, but I am not sure if there are some other session settings I should check besides these:

On StoreFront servers:
Manage Receiver for Web Sites -> Configure -> Session Settings -> Session timeout: 15min

On NetScaler:
Traffic Management -> Load Balancing -> Virtual Servers -> StoreFront LB Server -> Persistance -> Time-out (mins): 15
Citrix Gateway -> Global Settings -> Change Global Settings -> Client Experience -> Session Time-out (mins): 30
Citrix Gateway -> Global Settings -> Change Global Settings -> Client Experience -> Client Idle Time-out (mins): empty
Citrix Gateway -> Policies -> Session -> Session Profiles -> Nothing is configured on this level, so global settings apply

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any idea what could be causing this?

The following article did not solve the issue: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX204766

I just noticed that the same thing happens if I just try to reload the portal after login. I see "Citrix Gateway" and a spinning wheel and the portal never loads.

My guess is that the timeout setting for LB and Citrix gateway should be 30 minute or 15 minute same. But not 30 and 15.

I think what is happening is after 15 minute the persistence session is timing out in Storefront LB Vserver. But gateway session still din't time out.

So after 15 minute you refreshed, Now citrix gateway session is stil there so it worked on citrix gateway. but when it went to LB vserver the persistence timed out and you went to a different Storefront LB service which was not used.  Since this new SF server is not aware about your previous session and hence it can't load that page and it keeps rerfreshing.

To confirm you can only give 1 Storefront server in the LB vserver and try. If it works then it's confirm that its timeout issue and session is going to different Storefront server.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 10:48 AM, Farhan Ali1709152717 said:

My guess is that the timeout setting for LB and Citrix gateway should be 30 minute or 15 minute same. But not 30 and 15.

I think what is happening is after 15 minute the persistence session is timing out in Storefront LB Vserver. But gateway session still din't time out.

So after 15 minute you refreshed, Now citrix gateway session is stil there so it worked on citrix gateway. but when it went to LB vserver the persistence timed out and you went to a different Storefront LB service which was not used.  Since this new SF server is not aware about your previous session and hence it can't load that page and it keeps rerfreshing.

To confirm you can only give 1 Storefront server in the LB vserver and try. If it works then it's confirm that its timeout issue and session is going to different Storefront server.

Thanks for the tip. I removed the second server from Load Balancing Virtual Server ServiceGroup and logged in. After I refresh the page it still shows the "Citrix Gateway" and the spinning wheel, and the portal doesn't load (apps and desktops never come visible). I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that our storefront is using http instead of https.

So it was a caching issue. You modified Citrix Gateway -> Virtual Servers -> Select your Citrix Gateway Virtual Server -> go to Policies -> click Cache Policies -> select _mayNoCacheRequest and click "Edit Binding" -> change the priority into 5 so that it will have the smallest priority.

Which means you basically said to don't cache the request which fixed the issue.

Thanks for the info.