Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Xenserver 6.1 upgrade to latest Hypervisor without affecting Live VMs

Barznj Abdullah

Question

Dears,

I have Xenserver 6.1 with Live VMs on it. I want to upgrade to latest Hypervisor SW, but I dont want to affect my Live VMs on it. considering that I may not have enough resources to export VMs to somewhere and then to re-insert to Hypervisor.

Also considering that Xenserver 6.1 is old, then I need support for downloading related SWs in upgrade path to Hypervisor.

Could you please support with exact steps to follow? I need clear steps please.

Really appreciate your kind supports.

7 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

For no outage I would purchase new hardware, install the latest Hypervisor version, and do a VM migration 

from the old server to the new server. Any other upgrade path I can think of will require downtime.

--Alan--

Dear Alan,

from outage/downtime point of view, it is fine to have outage for some period till it will get upgraded. my only concern is my VMs get corrupted. also for HW, I checked current HW and it is already supported by Hypervisor.

So could you please share exact upgrade path/steps to be followed? also from where to get those phase out SWs?

Appreciate your kind feedback.

thanks and best regards

Barznj

At some point you're going to need to update Xentools, in any case. As long as the OS is still supported on whatever XS version you're upgrading to and the hardware can support that XS version, you should be OK. Best would be to take one of your servers and est it all out on it, first. You can always upgrade and join it back to the pool later. I will say that XS 6.1 was the one release I had the most issues with as far as stability is concerned. An upgrade is certainly in your best interest!

-=Tobias

You need to upgrade to version 7 then you can upgrade to version 8. That will at least get you 

on the current version. But yes, backups are a must prior to upgrading. If you have NFS available

you could make a NFS SR and move you data there and do a clean install of version 8. That 

would get you on the new local partition layout.  But if not you can go through the upgrades

and stay on the existing partition layout. 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-hypervisor.html

--Alan--

On 10/1/2019 at 9:07 AM, Tobias Kreidl said:

At some point you're going to need to update Xentools, in any case. As long as the OS is still supported on whatever XS version you're upgrading to and the hardware can support that XS version, you should be OK. Best would be to take one of your servers and est it all out on it, first. You can always upgrade and join it back to the pool later. I will say that XS 6.1 was the one release I had the most issues with as far as stability is concerned. An upgrade is certainly in your best interest!

-=Tobias

Issue is that I only have one Gen8 server with 4 VMs on top

17 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

You need to upgrade to version 7 then you can upgrade to version 8. That will at least get you 

on the current version. But yes, backups are a must prior to upgrading. If you have NFS available

you could make a NFS SR and move you data there and do a clean install of version 8. That 

would get you on the new local partition layout.  But if not you can go through the upgrades

and stay on the existing partition layout. 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-hypervisor.html

--Alan--

From where I can get SW for 7?