Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDA 1909 Breaks Start Menu - Windows 10 LTSB v1607

IT Department1709156658

Question

Recently, we upgraded to 1909 in our environment. After some experimenting and testing, it appears my start menu has stopped working again inside of my Windows 10 delivery group. After doing some digging, it appears Citrix has made some changes in the way UPM syncs the user profile. When looking in the UPM log file, I'm seeing the following line declaring the following:

"Now Appdata\Local\Packages and Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches are in mirrored folder list and Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.Dat* is in sync file list"

Earlier documentation seems to note that AppData\Local\Packages and Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.Dat*  are not to be roamed as it breaks the Start Menu. From my testing, it appears UPM 1909 hard codes these values into their code and although these directories and files are set to exclude in my UPM GPO settings, UPM syncs them anyways and this in turn breaks the start menu. I rolled back to version 1906 and the above line is not in the UPM logs and neither of the above directories or files are being synced to my profile. I.e. Start menu works as normal again. 

Has anyone else had this issue? I know in UPM documentation, it's saying these files and folders should be included in your UPM profile now. Could it possibly have something to do with the version of Windows 10 I am running?

Thanks for any feedback!

12 answers to this question

I do not know if the issue here ralates to "programs" not being listed out in "Start Menu". 

If that is the case, I have been having the same issue also on "Windows 10 v1809" with "UPM 1903"

I have always thought this was windows's problem, so the only workaround for me was to reset the "hidden" option on "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" with a Task-schedule

This needs more attention. After they snuck in Appdata\local\packages and UsrClass.dat, logoff times take 5 minutes because of all the files it now has to validate need to be written back to the store or not.  Disabling automatic configuration does stop those config changes from occurring.

The packages directory seems to be only related to the "settings" search options in the start menu. E.g. if packages doesn't exist, either nothing happens when a setting item is clicked, or the setting items don't appear at all in the search menu. 

I'd prefer something like using WEM to copy the contents of the Package directory but still exclude it from UPM. No need to have all those files in there, which, if you're on Server 2016 has around 750 files in there. 

According to this KB, Microsoft told Citrix NOT to roam these items, yet they still included them? https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224835

"Microsoft support explained that it is not supported to Roam "Appdata\Local\Packages" or  "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat*" files/directories. ShellHostExperience.exe which is responsible for Start Menu is not able to use them properly when roamed and therefore Start Menu becomes unresponsive."

Applicable Products are only 7.15, but Citrix does not keep these up to date and it hasn't been modified since 5/18.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:32 PM, Eric Gilliland said:

According to this KB, Microsoft told Citrix NOT to roam these items, yet they still included them? https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224835

"Microsoft support explained that it is not supported to Roam "Appdata\Local\Packages" or  "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat*" files/directories. ShellHostExperience.exe which is responsible for Start Menu is not able to use them properly when roamed and therefore Start Menu becomes unresponsive."

Applicable Products are only 7.15, but Citrix does not keep these up to date and it hasn't been modified since 5/18.

citrix deciding to roaming these two configurations might have their pros and cons.

I can say much for "..\Packages", but we were able to resolve an issue relating to "UserNotificationState" with the roaming of "..\USRClass.dat*".

However we are on "Windows10 v1809"

On 11/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, Steve Rast said:

It looks like it is getting better when you enable the UPM GPO "Disable automatic configuration".  It still's hits our users but not always. Relogin helps.

Yes, we also saw problems after upgrading the VDA to 1909 with the startmenu (Sometimes it not showd up, sometimes blank icons,...)

After "enabling" the "Disable automatic configuration" in advanced settings of UPM it seems a lot better and stable again.