Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Change/Remove Primary (first) StoreFront 3.9 server in server group

Shane Paul

Is it possible to change/remove the primary (first) StoreFront server in a server group? What I’m trying to do is add a couple new Windows 2016 servers to an existing StoreFront server group consisting of 2012R2 servers, then retire the 2012R2 servers. If this is possible, it would keep me from having rebuild/reconfigure the StoreFront config from scratch on the new 2016 servers. Thanks.

Yes. You can remove the first StoreFront server in the group from any of the other servers in the group.

Actually, once you add a second server to the group, it's really no longer the "primary" server, and you could make changes to any of the servers and replicate it out to the other servers.

It's not a bad idea, however, to keep thinking of it as the "primary" server - only in the sense that you make all updates to that server and push them out from there. The sole reason for that is so that one does not get confused, make changes to multiple servers without replicating them, with the result that some of the changes will end up getting overwritten and lost. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shane

Sam Jacob's advice and explanation is spot on :).

Regarding your plan to build a new server group

What I’m trying to do is add a couple new Windows 2016 servers to an existing StoreFront server group consisting of 2012R2 servers, then retire the 2012R2 servers. 

We have never supported heterogeneous server groups with a mixture of OSs in StoreFront so what you want to do with 2012R2 and 2016 is definitely not possible.  We do however have a mechanism to accomplish exactly what you want to do with Config Export and Import.  Please see the eDoc I wrote on how to do this here.  

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/storefront/current-release/configure-server-group.html
https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/storefront/current-release/export-import-storefront-config.html

Basically this is what you need to do....

• Export your current config from 2012R2 and import it into a clean 2016 server of the same StoreFront build.
  • Specify the same Host Base URL on import

# On 2012R2
    Export-STFConfiguration -TargetFolder "$env:userprofile\desktop\" -ZipFileName "Backup" -NoEncryption

# On 2016
    Import-STFConfiguration -configurationZip "$env:userprofile\desktop\Backup.zip" -HostBaseUrl "https://storefrontlb.domain.com"

You can then add additional 2016 servers to the new group you have just built as normal. 

Regards Mark
  • Like 1