Welcome to our new Citrix community!

BSOD with bnistack6.sys failed with App Layering and PVS

Tobias Hauswald

Question

My issue is, when i boot app layered disk for a first time i get „Blue screen of death“ with bnistack6.sys error.

My App Layering environment:

-          Windows 10 Enterprise 1903, all Patches

-          nVidia GPU Tesla P40 Driver Version 430.46

-          Citrix Hypervisor 8 with Hotfix 1-4

-          VDA 1811

-          PVS Version 1811 (7.20.0.20018)

-          App Layering 19.8.0.11

-          Only two app layers: platform and OS

My environment was configured according to Carl Stallhoods Guide https://www.carlstalhood.com/app-layering/.  

I used Script from George Spiers http://www.jgspiers.com/citrix-app-layering-preparation-script/ for preparation of every app layer.

The Xentools are installed in the OS Layer.

All ghost NICs in OS and platform layer were removed.

My install order within Platform Layer:

-          Login local admin user

-          Install nVidia driver

-          Join domain

-          VDA agent with domain admin user

-          Reboot

-          delete domain admin user profile

-          Install PVS target driver

-          Reboot

-          Login local admin user

-          Run PVS optimization tool

-          Run George Spiers preparation script

-          Check for ghost NICs

-          Finalize

I created a Image containing only OS and platform layer. After that i published it to PVS.

When I boot my device, it displays provisioning disk configuration screen and shows BSOD with bnistack6.sys error.

My VM template is generated from the OS Layer VM, which uses in PVS connector and PVS Xen Desktop Wizard.

I also noticed, when i build second version of platform layer, the created VM boots without issues. If i reboot that VM, the ethernet adapter is not shown in network overview, but that network device is listed in device manager. This VM does not have network connection in that moment.

Can you help me with this issue?

5 answers to this question

In case those things dont help.

First I wanted to apologize i have not had a change to work with an nVidia card in version 4x so I can only guess at the things that might matter.

My first thought is to make sure that the templates you use all the way through the process is configured the same way and that it has the nVidia configuration and profile defined.  So that means when you are creating the platform layer the nVidia hardware should be configured in the template you use for your packaging machines with the nVidia profile that you plan to use so that it loads the correct nVidia driver.  Then when you deploy the target you woudl basically use the same template so you have the same settings.

Also this looks to be necessary

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX241448

You should be able to get the NVIDIA control panel to work when you are packaging or it wont work when deployed.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, Tobias Hauswald said:

My issue is, when i boot app layered disk for a first time i get „Blue screen of death“ with bnistack6.sys error.

My App Layering environment:

-          Windows 10 Enterprise 1903, all Patches

-          nVidia GPU Tesla P40 Driver Version 430.46

-          Citrix Hypervisor 8 with Hotfix 1-4

-          VDA 1811

-          PVS Version 1811 (7.20.0.20018)

-          App Layering 19.8.0.11

-          Only two app layers: platform and OS

My environment was configured according to Carl Stallhoods Guide https://www.carlstalhood.com/app-layering/.  

I used Script from George Spiers http://www.jgspiers.com/citrix-app-layering-preparation-script/ for preparation of every app layer.

The Xentools are installed in the OS Layer.

All ghost NICs in OS and platform layer were removed.

App Layering + PVS + XenServer is broken and the recommendations are the opposite of what they need to be. When you install the PVS Target Device Software you get around 9 extra ghost NICs (XenServer PV Network Device #0 - see attached). These all have the same hardware IDs. The Shutdown for Finalize script calls Uniservice.exe -G which removes ghost NICs. However, it does this by looking for a ghost NIC and then removing all NIC instances with the same hardware IDs. So you end up with no NICs, not even the live one. At that point, you've ended up with a layer that will not boot with PVS, of course. I think the recommendation to remove ghost NICs is based on an urban myth. We just copy the batch script that Shutdown for Finalize links to, remove the Uniservice.exe -G line, then save it as SafeShutdownForFinalize and make sure we always use that.

Capture.PNG