Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MCS "permanent" D:\ Drive

Niclas Boehm

Question

Hi,

I have some questions about MCS. Hopefully you can answer them for me.

Question 1:

I did MCS on VMWare and on XenServer.

On VMWare I noticed the following:

Every time the VM´s boots they are rebuilt, that's not bad at first, but what's bad is that the VM´s gets a new MAC address when they are completely rebuilt :/ That's very uncool for DHCP reservations.

On a XenServer this does not happen.

Question 2:

With PVS you can attach a "permanent" disk (D:\) to VM´s for e.g. cache or for certain files like a GUID of a VM for the virus scanner.

How to do this with MCS ? There you can only provision "C".

According to a BISF tweet I saw that there is a possibility to attach a hard disk "D" - independent from the cache disk which is attached to the MCS Wizzard anyway.

It's about a 1909 environment, VDA and DDC. no matter if Server OS or Desktop OS

I hope somebody can help me. I find MCS very interesting !

2 answers to this question

I've been running XD on VMW for 10 years now and the vm's don't get re-built at all nor change their MAC.  Not sure where you are getting this from.  They are linked clones so they do update their base image on reboot which takes all but a few seconds and then boot if there's an update you pushed.  If you elect to use MCSIO when building your catalog, it will add a 10gb or so D:\ in Windows for it's file caching system.  This is a change with 1903 or 1906 I think, before it was disk based and the user never saw the drive, but this changed.  You can hide the drive with a GPO probably.  MCS is a piece of cake and with the flash arrays now a days, it's a no brainer for anyone with less than 1000 vm's or so.