Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NetScaler - STA configuration

Terry Read1709155676

I have built quite a few NetScalers with basic configurations; i.e. ICA proxys or gateways, however I have a seemingly basic questions.

On a Gateway, what does the STA binding actually do? I have come across a NetScaler setup, which was built by someone else, and even though there are 2 Citrix sites, STAs have only ever been added for 1 of the sites.

I assumed the way it works is that you get an STA ticket when you select your published app via StoreFront, and then when you launch the downloaded ICA file that STA ticket is checked against the binded STA servers on the gateway and if a ticket is matched then your session is launched.

However, if the STA binding is missing for a delivery controller how does this work? Is the delivery controller details read from the STA file? Does the gateway have to talk to StoreFront again and get a fresh ticket?

StoreFront chooses the STA. Gateway needs configuration to connect to the same STA that StoreFront chose.

STAs are unrelated to farms/sites. STA is just a .dll running on a machine. StoreFront can choose any STA server, no matter which machine it's running on. Long time ago, the original STA was a separate installer. Today, STA is bundled with all Delivery Controllers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

StoreFront chooses the STA. Gateway needs configuration to connect to the same STA that StoreFront chose.

STAs are unrelated to farms/sites. STA is just a .dll running on a machine. StoreFront can choose any STA server, no matter which machine it's running on. Long time ago, the original STA was a separate installer. Today, STA is bundled with all Delivery Controllers.

Thanks Carl.

I think I understand now. However, in this StoreFront setup, XenApp and XenDesktop are configured individually on the Store, with their own STAs. If a user wants to launch a XenDesktop session, StoreFront  will get a STA ticket from STA003 / STA004. On the GW, only STA001 and STA002 are configured. Shouldn't this mean that the same STA used for SF and GW cannot occur, and therefore the session should not launch?

3 minutes ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

In StoreFront Console, click Stores on the left. On the top right is Manage NetScaler Gateways. Edit each one. one of the pages will show you which STAs are configured.

It sounds like the current configuration, even though it works, is working due to a bit of luck that the "Default appliance" configured on the Store's "Remote Access Settings" is the STAs configured on the NetScaler. I assume that if i were to shutdown the 2 STAs referenced on the "default appliance" that users would not be able to login.

Thank you Carl, even though this wasn't an actually issue It is good to understand how everything works together :)