Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Managed Desktops - "non-domain-joined VDA"

David Hood

Question

Hi there,

I'm looking through the documentation for managed desktops and specifically the deployment scenarios listed here:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-managed-desktops.html

I'm from the school method of having my VDA's domain joined , so SSO works from storefront through to the desktop and so on.

What happens / how do folk authenticate with the "non-domain-joined VDA" option? Do the user's need local accounts create on each VDA? I get they can login to the cloud portal using the citrix managed azure ad  - but how do they then login to the VDA?

Thanks for any pointers!

6 answers to this question

Hi consiliumuk1, in the use case for non-domain joined VDAs, the Citrix Managed Azure AD account will be "mapped" to a local account of the VDA through the service. There is no need to map/create a local account at the time of image creation, this is done dynamically by the Citrix Managed Desktops service.

When the user logs in to Workspace with Azure AD account added to the catalog, the service will use this account to create a local account on the VDA before the logon process is completed; this local account will be local account for the user to use the desktop image as if it mapped to a regular desktop. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions and will try to get answers for you.

• Like 1
  • 49 minutes ago, Victor Cataluna said:

Hi consiliumuk1, in the use case for non-domain joined VDAs, the Citrix Managed Azure AD account will be "mapped" to a local account of the VDA through the service. There is no need to map/create a local account at the time of image creation, this is done dynamically by the Citrix Managed Desktops service.

When the user logs in to Workspace with Azure AD account added to the catalog, the service will use this account to create a local account on the VDA before the logon process is completed; this local account will be local account for the user to use the desktop image as if it mapped to a regular desktop. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions and will try to get answers for you.

Thanks very much for the detailed answer Victor - that helps clear things up in my mind. Is there any documentation on how this feature works in more detail?

Unfortunately we do not have more technical documentation on the matter at this time. Note that for managing local policies and Citrix Policies will have to be done prior to creating the catalog with Citrix Managed template or BYO template image for creating the catalog. This is because since the images are not joined to a domain, policies will need to be administered locally on the image.

12 minutes ago, Victor Cataluna said:

Unfortunately we do not have more technical documentation on the matter at this time. Note that for managing local policies and Citrix Policies will have to be done prior to creating the catalog with Citrix Managed template or BYO template image for creating the catalog. This is because since the images are not joined to a domain, policies will need to be administered locally on the image.

Mind you - I wonder if that could be combined with some DSC love...https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-dsc-overview

On 9/20/2019 at 9:39 AM, Victor Cataluna said:

Hi,

I know this was answered in 2019. I have a few questions that is related to Citrix Persistent Desktops and Azure VDI.

We created Persistent Desktops using Quick Deploy with the image that was provided in Build Image. These machines are not domain joined and we want to make sure that we can have these machines updated with applications and also patches, av etc... through Intune. We had SCCM before, but we have moved out of SCCM and moving everything to Intune. How can we manage these persistent desktops for upgrades of software on it like AutoCAD, Revit etc...

Appreciate if you could provide some inside or is there a third party tools that needs to be used?

Thanks in advance?