Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Question about Moving VM from OldPool to NewPool

Travis MAIN NUMBER Rabe

Question

Hello All,

I have a question on the recoverability of a VM move between two pools/two SRs.

Layout
2 x Dell R715 connected via HBA to MD3400 (old pool)

2 x Dell R740 connected via HBA to MD3200 (new pool)

So far, I've powered down and moved all VMs (13) from the old pool to the new pool across the network using the "Move VM" option thus far and it was worked wonderfully.  I have one last VM to move, but it is a large one weighing in at about 2.2TB.  Based on the other moves....a 200GB VM (+ Snapshot ..soo 400GB?) has taken about 45mins to move across the network.  If I move the 2TB VM, I estimate it will take about 7.5 hours to move the large VM.

Since this is a long time to move a VM, I am wondering what happens if MURPHY should show up mid move and decide it will fail for some reason, switch explodes, power outage that lasts days, etc.  Does it just abort and the VM is still in it's original location on the original SR?  Or is it lost because it's stuck 1/2 moved, 1/2 not.

24 answers to this question

The timeout for processes like this is 24 hours, so hopefully you should be done before that. If it fails (and I have seen this happen beofre), it's supposed to clean up and the original VM stays intact on its host. A live move, as you know, won't be possible since your pools have different architectures (AMD vs. Intel).

I'd also recommend picking a network for the transfer that's not so busy (the default is the primary management interface) if available on both pools.

Good luck!

-=Tobias

3 hours ago, Boby John1709155536 said:

To be out of risk try Copy VM > Cross Pool.  ( this is not Move, this is copy and paste ) 

Once copied and verified the new one, delete it from the source.

I like this idea, but won't this turn the original window from ~8hrs to ~16hrs?  In my experience, the verify takes as long if not longer than the initial move/copy process?

The live migration is not supported,  as they are two different architectures (they aren't even an option on the menus).  The only way to perform this process that I can see, is to power the VM down completely and then perform the requested action.

Moving from Pool to Pool with two different architectures must be done in a power off state - right?  Am I wrong?

3 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Yes, but then you end up not getting any changes that have taken place between when the snapshot was taken and when the new VM is started up to replace the old one. Granted, in some cases that may not be relevant, but it most certainly will in some cases!

-=Tobias

For me, in this case with this server, the amount of data that could change in the 7 or so hours it would take would be tough to reconcile.  Typically I would use ROBOCOPY to mirror the changes, but clearly I can't have the same server online at the same time with the same name and GUID in the same domain to achieve this task.  The only safe way I can see to do this is to power it down and then COPY or MOVE the machine across the network to the other storage array.

1 hour ago, Travis MAIN NUMBER Rabe said:

For me, in this case with this server, the amount of data that could change in the 7 or so hours it would take would be tough to reconcile.  Typically I would use ROBOCOPY to mirror the changes, but clearly I can't have the same server online at the same time with the same name and GUID in the same domain to achieve this task.  The only safe way I can see to do this is to power it down and then COPY or MOVE the machine across the network to the other storage array.

That would be my suggestion, since a live migration doesn't appear to be a viable option.

-=Tobias

Well that almost worked.....it errored out somewhere around almost 8 hours into the process.   I got a Storage_Interface.Does_Not_Exist(_) and it stopped.

From reading in here, specifically this post https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/404866-question-about-moving-vm-from-oldpool-to-newpool/ this appears to be a known issue with the amount of free space on the target.

I have a 2,032 GB VM (over two disks).

The amount of free space is 5, 866 GB.

Without the Snapshot, I need 4267.2 GB of free space.

With the Snaphot, then I need 8, 534GB free.

Would this work if I removed the snapshot?  Also, I don't see other disk residue as the previous posted did.  The same amount of free space exists before and after the attempted move.