Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDI Desktop Upgrade from 1709 to 1903

Anandh Chandrabose1709158945

Question

Hi Folks,

Need your valuable advise on below.

Customer wants to upgrade their exising Citrix VDI machines to latest windows 10 update 1903.The existing version running is windows 10 update 1709.

Please let me know the best way to successfully complete this activity.

Set Up details :-

Citrix XenDesktop---7.15 LTSR CU3

Citrix PVS is using for the machine creation

Existing VDI:- Windows 10 updtae 1709

Need to be upgraded to :- Windows 10 Update 1903

10 answers to this question

Hi,

In my opinion an in-place upgrade of a VDI delivered via PVS or MCS, should never be performed, there are just too many scenarios where things might go wrong or perform badly.

Considering the release cadence of Windows 10 you will probably have to do this exercise at least once a year, to keep up with the new features in Windows 10. That alone justifies a solution that can do an automatic/unattended build of a Windows 10 Golden Image.

While you are at it, you might want to take a look at FSLogix App Masking, that might help you reduce the amount of images needed.

All setups have "very special software" and "hacks", both area should be well documented.

In most setups where I have implemented automation I build a new golden image with every software change/upgrade. That way I know what's changed in the image, it's documented via the automation tool and it's easy to upgrade hypervisor tools, VDA and PVS target device software, as I never have to do any reverse image stuff.

I can only give you my recommendations, whether you follow them or not is entirely up to you. If you go with Windows 10 v1809 (current LTSC version) you have to understand that you do not get any new features in Windows 10. That might be security features, new features that Microsoft implements in future versions of Windows 10 and also new or updates features in OneDrive.

1903 will require an updated VDA (Minimum LTSR 7.15 CU4)

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224843

in-place upgrades are never fun but if you are forced to do this (and I do agree with Kasper), then i would go as far as to suggest a reverse image, remove Citrix components, upgrade windows, reinstall Citrix components, recreate PVS image - you might technically get away with a vDisk version upgrade in place but I wouldn't be putting my name next to that :)

Yes I know that in-place is not the best option - our Image preparation is well documented but prepare 4 new images is a lot of work - so we will test the in-place approach but not with reverse image but we use a second partition on an W10 to boot the *.vhdx disk see: (german)
https://www.marc-graeber.de/2017/10/17/xentools-aktualisieren-auf-ein-vdisk/ - it is realy much faster…

robert

On 9/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, Anandh Chandrabose1709158945 said:

Hi Folks,

Need your valuable advise on below.

Customer wants to upgrade their exising Citrix VDI machines to latest windows 10 update 1903.The existing version running is windows 10 update 1709.

Please let me know the best way to successfully complete this activity.

Set Up details :-

Citrix XenDesktop---7.15 LTSR CU3

Citrix PVS is using for the machine creation

Existing VDI:- Windows 10 updtae 1709

Need to be upgraded to :- Windows 10 Update 1903

Best practice is to first setup the test environment of windows 10 update 1709 and then try to upgrade with latest windows 10 update 1903.

Note down the issue which occurs during the upgrade and you may need to few packages which had Bug fixes and security patches for windows 10 update 1903 on your citrix vdi.

Also check what are unknown issue of windows 10.

Regards,

Akshay