Welcome to our new Citrix community!

High write activity to pagefile

Marcel Zunnebeld

Question

Hi all,

We have problems with our Citrix Session Hosts (Server 2016, VDA = 1903.1). At the Session Hosts we see during the day that there is constantly going to be written to the page file.
This provides such a load on the storage (SSD storage) that the storage environment will be on 99% CPU. The performance of the Session Hosts is therefore very bad at that time and this causes random session hosts to crash. The servers are streamed to the VMs using a PVS (1903 / 7.21.0) vDisk.

Each VM has 96 GB RAM and for the PVS (Cache in device RAM with Overflow to Disk) the maximum RAM size is 16 GB.
The server also has a 100 Gb persistent D: \ drive. The write cache appears on this. The page file (also on D: \) is fixed at 32 GB.
With procmon we see that the process writes "WmiPrvSE" to the pagefile, and that in this WmiPrvSE process Citrix Hooks can be seen.

he Session host has the Fair Share for the Disk and the network settings in the registry OFF (EnableFairShare = 0 in the registry keys for both Disk and Network).
We use FSLogix and Ivanti Workspace Control.

On the internet I read different opinions about the page file. Who can tell me if it is still needed or not? And if so how large should it be, and if not, what are the risks if I don't set up a page file?

Hopefully someone knows the correct answer to this, or knows a solution for this pagefile problem.

Thanks in advance!

Marcel

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet