Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VMs losing connection to vdisk (async I/O?)

Martijn Kools

Question

Hello,

We have the issue that during the day VMs just drop from PVS. The green checkbox which states the server is connected to the vdisk just disappears. The server hangs and users hang, I need to force reboot the affected VMs. We have about 50 VMs and this happens with 1 or 2 VMs each day.

This started since we've enabled async I/O on the vdisk, so I will disable it for now and try again. We also use PVS caching on XenServer 7.6. We have enough memory which is not the issue. There are no errors in the PVS log or on the VMs. 

Also, I can easily reproduce this by rebalancing VMs from one PVS server to the other (or shutting down one where to other takes over). If I do that up to 10 VMs will lose their connection to PVS.

We're using PVS 1906.

3 answers to this question

Hi, 

I have a PVS 1912 setup that was running fine.  No issues with hanging PVS-targets.

I exported my vDisk, and imported again after renaming the PVP and VHDX-files.   And on this new vDisk I enabled the "Asynchronous I/O" option.  That was the ONLY Change !

I assigned this new vDisk to my collection and restarted HALF of my PVS-targets.

After only 2 days I already had a few PVS-targets that were no longer responsive, and were not registered anymore.  After a RESTART of these devices they become functional again.

And this morning I again had 3 of the 8 PVS-targets that were hanging...

I will switch back to my vDisk WITHOUT this option "Asynchronious I/O".    I know there is a newer 1912 CU1 version of the PVS-software.  There is no information mentioned in the release notes about issues fixed with that "Asynchronious I/O", but I will give it a new try...

Any other experiences ?  At the moment I think this new options is not production ready yet...

On 6/3/2020 at 2:27 AM, Chris Marreel said:

Hi, 

I have a PVS 1912 setup that was running fine.  No issues with hanging PVS-targets.

I exported my vDisk, and imported again after renaming the PVP and VHDX-files.   And on this new vDisk I enabled the "Asynchronous I/O" option.  That was the ONLY Change !

I assigned this new vDisk to my collection and restarted HALF of my PVS-targets.

After only 2 days I already had a few PVS-targets that were no longer responsive, and were not registered anymore.  After a RESTART of these devices they become functional again.

And this morning I again had 3 of the 8 PVS-targets that were hanging...

I will switch back to my vDisk WITHOUT this option "Asynchronious I/O".    I know there is a newer 1912 CU1 version of the PVS-software.  There is no information mentioned in the release notes about issues fixed with that "Asynchronious I/O", but I will give it a new try...

Any other experiences ?  At the moment I think this new options is not production ready yet...

Hi Chris - I am having extremely similar problems, also still on 1912, non CU1 for PVS. I do have async i/o enabled, I'm going to disable it and see how it goes. Did you find a solution to your problem? Did CU1 help? I opened a ticket with Citrix and just went in circles.