Welcome to our new Citrix community!

StoreFront Export/Import Favorites for a User

Michael Thomason

Can anyone point me to the API where I could export and import favorites for a single user? It seems in StoreFront you would have to export the entire database, filter, and then re-import? I'm looking for a way to manage "user subscriptions" for a particular user (i.e. delete all, restore, etc) without having to delete and restore the entire database.

Sam, wow... I'm a little concerned about this method. Is the import system smart enough to not "import" records that are already present or when you do an import it will re-write the entire database just to delete the favorites for a single user.  It seems to be the latter -- which seems like a lot of replication traffic and extremely inefficient.

Yes but we do this all the time -- it's the equivalent of deleting an entire database and replicating out to all users each time we need to modify a favorite. We have hundreds of thousands of favorites (i.e. 30000 users x 10 each). 

Is this okay to do? Does it recreate the DB each time -- or does it have a ton of transactions that would then need to get flushed. This seems like a database fragmentation nightmare.

It's mainly only when we migrate between farms. For example we have a large project upcoming to move over 600 applications from XenApp 6.5 to 7.15. These users have favorites stored on StoreFront and it generates a massive amount of calls when they "break" and have to re-add. Under Web Interface we developed our own favorites solution and it was stored in SQL. We do could basic SQL queries targeting particular applications.  So we may move 10 applications one evening and have 800 users who have favorites who need to be updated. It seems silly to have to "recreate the database." As this is a database I'm not sure if it "promotes and creates" a new DB each time you do an import or if it keeps using the same one and same table and you would end up with index fragmentation.

Let me know if this does not make sense.

There actually may be an API for you to look into...

That's the Citrix Receiver Extension API Calls - specifically, the extensions includeInMyApps() and excludeFromMyApps().

While 'm not sure if it actually creates an entry into the favorites database, it is supposed to stick the desired application into (or remove an application from) the user's Favorites view.

Hi Michael

What you are asking for is fully possible with a Powershell based tool set I wrote to assist customers with this kind of issue and to manipulate the subscription data without having to resource to Excel and CSVs so much.  It does still require exporting the entire eSent subscription database and the PS scripts split the data into 2 new files containing the user SIDs you specify.  The tools can also do other manipulations such as rename individual delivery controllers to an aggregation group name. 

I am happy to have a call with you or private message you and provide you with what you need and some basic instructions on how to use the scripts.

Please get in touch via a private message with your email and we can move forward.

Mark

16 hours ago, Michael Thomason said:

It's mainly only when we migrate between farms. For example we have a large project upcoming to move over 600 applications from XenApp 6.5 to 7.15. These users have favorites stored on StoreFront and it generates a massive amount of calls when they "break" and have to re-add. Under Web Interface we developed our own favorites solution and it was stored in SQL. We do could basic SQL queries targeting particular applications.  So we may move 10 applications one evening and have 800 users who have favorites who need to be updated. It seems silly to have to "recreate the database." As this is a database I'm not sure if it "promotes and creates" a new DB each time you do an import or if it keeps using the same one and same table and you would end up with index fragmentation.

Let me know if this does not make sense.

The eSent Windows database StoreFront uses to Store subscription data has a very simple schema.  After making modifications to the flat export file you would need to import it again over the top of what is already present.

I can explain everything on a call if needed.

Mark