Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Xenserver Migration/Upgrade from 6.2 to 7.6

jaskaran singh1709161245

Question

Hi,

I have 2 XenServer host running on version 6.2 with old dell PowerEdge server. Both are using a shared SR.

I want to migrate all these VMs to new hardware without any downtime. what is the best approach for this.

New Hardware is not  compatible  with 6.2 (as i was thinking to install same version  as old and add to existing pool and migrate VMs) but it only support 7.1 and higher.

And old hardware where 6.2 is running does not support upgrade to 7 and above as per HCL. So what is your suggestion to do in this case.

11 answers to this question

You would have to upgrade your old pool from 6.2 first to 6.5 before you could then upgrade it to 7.X or 8.0 but your old hardware might be too old, anyway.

However, you should be able to migrate directly from your 6.2 old pool to 7.X or 8.0 though you'd want to then reinstall xentools. As long as your current 6.2 licenses supports pool migration it should work. You'd build your new 7.X or 8.0 pool and then just live migrate your VMs over. I'd back everything up first as a precaution. Worst care, you'd suffer some downtime with exporting and importing VMs. Also, make sure first the OS versions of your VMs are all supported on your new pool.

-=Tobias

Thanks Tobias for confirmation.

Just to recap, following steps you are suggesting right ?

1,. Install XenServer 7.6 on these 2 new Servers.

2. Create a Pool for these 2 new servers ( Do i need to use the existing shared SR or need a new path ?

3. Migrate VMs to new pool by following the  Migration Wizard (One by One).

4. In case we will have issues in live migration then only thing we can do is Shutdown the VM-Export and Import to new Servers.

Also is it possible if i can install new servers with 7.6 and add these servers to existing pool and then migrate VMs from 6.2 to 7.6 server  and decom 6.2 once done ?

Hi...

You need a separate SR. as an SR cannot be shared between different pools. Make sure it has plenty of free space.

You should then be good to go! I would try migrating one VM at the time at first to make sure you don't overload anything.

If something goes wrong, try th emigration from the CLI to get better error messages why it didn't work. It also give you a "force=true" option in case you have to overcome any possible incompatibilities. If a live migration fails, you can also always try shutting it down and then migrating it with the VM not running, though I have some vague recollection about a non-running VM not being able to be migrated across a pool back on older XS releases.

Good luck!

-=Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I have tried migrating VM and getting below error.

Internal Error: Object with type VM and id "65caxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"/vbd.xvdd does not exist in xenopsd.

After some search i have followed steps mentioned in this blog -https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX216994 and getting below error:

"Drive could not be hot-unplugged because it is not marked as unpluggable"

Then i have tried   xe vbd-param-set uuid=65cxxxxxxxx unpluggable=true  and see the below result again.

xe vbd-unplug uuid=65caxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx force=true

The server failed to handle your request, due to an internal error.  The given message may give details useful for debugging the problem.
message: Object with type VM and id abcxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/vbd.xvda does not exist in xenopsd

Do you have any idea on this.

Dont have a option to migrate after shutdown, as i can see on other shutdown VMs.

I think need to go with export and import if we will shutdown the vm.

Also one iso is mounted with this VM( Which i was suspected might be an issue). I have tried to unmount  that iso but again same error.

Internal Error: Object with type VM and id "65caxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"/vbd.xvdd does not exist in xenopsd.