Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Error - "Number of custom header exceeds limit" - Rewrite action

Tobias Worethle

Hi,

When trying to add a new action via Configuration > Rewrite > Actions > Add > Create Rewrite Action > Type: DELETE_HTTP_HEADER, the error "Number of custom header exceeds limit" appears after clicking create. I've tried changing the Name and Header Name, but this error always appears.

This is occurring on a NetScaler VPX 1000.

Is there a way to determine what is causing this issue and how can it be solved, so that I can create a new Action?

Thanks,

Tobias

Just saw this in the ADC 13.0.36.27 release notes:

"The system limit for a maximum number of HTTP headers is now set to 64 custom headers. Previously, the limit was set to 16 custom headers."

So the error you were seeing may be related to the headers in the gui and not necessarily a rewrite limit.  (I don't know if this was the first version that fixed this issue; so someone from support may know.)  (The note doesn't clarify more than what I quoted above; so I don't know to what it is referring beyond this.)

---

(These were my original notes before I saw the above in the release notes.)

If its related specifically to the rewrite policy syntax and not the above referenced note, then supply the additional info:

Which firmware version are you on?  And which browser are you using.

Have you tried creating from CLI as an alternate test?  (If not sure, just use the running config to create a new policy action based on an existing action with a new name.)

Is the error only showing when you select the rewrite type from the drop down or when you try to create the policy after configuring an expression?  Which expression/header are you specifying in this example, if getting this far.

• Like 1

Thanks Rhonda, the odd thing is that I have other NetScaler VPX 1000s running the same version (NS 11.0 71.22.nc) that don't experience this problem. I also have 36 rewrite actions in total, and only 14 rewrite DELETE_HTTP_HEADER actions on the one experiencing the issue (others have a similar number of actions).

Which firmware version are you on?

> NS 11.0 71.22.nc

And which browser are you using.

> Tried both Chrome and Firefox

Have you tried creating from CLI as an alternate test?  (If not sure, just use the running config to create a new policy action based on an existing action with a new name.)

> Haven't tried this yet, will try

Is the error only showing when you select the rewrite type from the drop down or when you try to create the policy after configuring an expression?

> Only showing when I click the create button after configuring the expression

Which expression/header are you specifying in this example, if getting this far.

> I've tried multiple expressions/headers, none seem to work (eg. Name: Remove Test, Header name: test)

Can anyone from support confirm what this error is referencing please?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Received a resolution and answer from Citrix today in case anyone else runs into this problem:

This is a limit in Netscaler firmware version below 13.0 : all rewrite actions that set/delete custom headers count towards a 16 item limit.

The workaround is to delete existing set/delete custom header rewrite actions.

This was enhanced in firmware version 13.0 to be up to 128 items.

• Like 1