Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XEN 6.5 - LVM - FIND physical disk as part of the VG or LV

Stephen Allen1709161229

Question

Hi,

I got this box from a previous admin and it seems he added a 1TB usb drive which is being used by the Vms?  I need to prove this and cannot find the right commands.

I'm trying to ask the question what physical disk make up the storage that is being used by the VM.   What physical disk are part of the data SR?  I must be missing how you piece that together with the commands below.  

pvscan

vgscan

lvscan

VM.JPG

SR.JPG

pvscan.JPG

15 answers to this question

It says the below.  

fdisk -l.JPG

So it seems SDD the 1 TB USB WDPASSPORT is what I want to know is that part of a VG, or LV?  Are vm being ran off this drive for some reason?

I also found out since 2015 they have never updated this Xen 6.5 at all.  I'm getting errors like:

5d666d3b9d9cc_xenopsdinternalerror.thumb.JPG.52fdf5fb53c5fd82681a20cee57f561b.JPG

The VM won't respond, shutdown or restart.  Then none of my VM will work, then when I reboot XenCenter it stops at the Citrix loading screen and never boots.  I then have to hard power cycle and every boots up just fine.  What is going on?  Is this drive my issue or updates or what? 

Creating an SR on a external USB drive isn't the greatest idea in the world. Being an older server and XenServer 6.5 

your speed/performance over USB probably isn't the greatest. Can you add a new physical drive to the server? 

If so you could then create a new SR and migrate all of your VM's over to that.  Local storage to me is a little funky.

I'm not a LVM guru by any means, but Google can fill you in on the basics.

--Alan--

Yeah, your performance ion a USB drive will be pretty bad. I would also strongly recommend upgrading to a supported/active version of XenCServer/Citrix Hypervisor as XS 6.5 is long off support and there have been numerous security and other issues addressed meanwhile.

For probing what is actually in LVM, lvdisplay, vgdisplay and pvdisplay are your best friends. Also, check out the various entries in the subdirectories under /dev/disk/ which can be helpful in identifying the mappings.

-=Tobias

Hi,

Thank you for all your help.  While I like the idea of moving SR we are bringing up a new node.  I also have a solution to export this to VMWare.  This has a limit from the hardware that was purchase and cannot update to a new version.  Basically this system is dead.  I just need to prove that it is running on the USB drive.  How can I do that right now?   Once we move the VM they won't be on the system.  I just want to show the root cause of our downtime was because at some point the VM were being stored on a SR that included an external harddrive.  The main reason I think is because of the image attached.  5d66aff22ed63_VMRUNNINGONUSB.thumb.JPG.848ec5f48f172308a540b76a21713bc5.JPG

3 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

pvscan will show you which partition points to which SR.  If you move from XenServer to VMWare and XenTools

are installed be forewarned that its a PITA. I had to write a custom script. 

--Alan--

Yes, make sure you uninstall XenTools first if you're going to export the VMs to ESXi.

Its not as simple as just uninstalling XenTools. The drivers and inf's still hang around so when you boot the

VM it will still install the PV drivers. So I wrote a batch file that removes all of that Citrix stuff and makes

the VM look pretty clean when importing to VMWare.  I think they blue screened if I didn't do this.

--Alan

Thanks guys.  I do understand about the nfs mount, that is a cool idea!  I also meant that I will build a new system in VMWare and then move the data.  I know that exporting/importing a xen instance will not be the cleanest.  sorry for my confusion.  This specific VM is Win2k12 and cannot shutdown, reboot, signout.  It just hangs and crashed.  Below is my PVSCAN, along with my other outputs in previous post the part I'm missing is connecting the dots.  It seems he merged the 1TB passport with an existing real SATA/IDE disk?   So if the mount shows SDD is the 1TB HD how can I connect that is being used with the SR repository called data.  I just want to know what physical disk are part of the Data SR.  It provides unique ID, I get that but how do i know what every UUID mean or IS as given by XEN.  How come not a simple GUI button to expand a SR and show this is part SATA, and IDE drive combined.  Just an example.  I get we have commands to show this but that is what I'm asking... How do I show what physical drives make up the DATA SR? 

image.png5d67c5bfbb604_fdisk-l.thumb.JPG.62f13173db1a97039b9b8a17fdb2fce4.JPGpvdisplay.thumb.JPG.35fb1ec2a93d107d4c7657c5eeec8e49.JPG

df.JPG

sr-list.JPG

Hi Alan, I agree.  .  I know for a fact it is a 1TB drive and shows as SDD in the screenshot above.  Then we see SDB which is 2 TB.  Then under the pvscan it shows the Physical volume is only 2TB.  If they were combined it would be 3TB right?  I'm about to pull this dang USB drive and watch the whole thing crash just to prove it was running of the USB drive.  I just want to know, sorry for my persistence and lack of knowledge in this area.  I'm Windows admin trying to catchup with Rhel, Xen, and Linux.  Thank you all for continued help.