Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Xenserver 7.1.2 LTSR and APCUPS as service status fail when xen startup

Simon-Pier Voyer

Question

Hi we're changing from xenserver 6.5 to xenserver 7.1 we were using apcupsd to verify and shutdown vm and xenserver when the ups reach 10% battery left.

i found a newer version of apcupsd and configured every same setting.

i did use systemctl enable apcupsd.service  so the service start when xenserver start.

the problem is i get no ups status when the server starts. i have to restart apcupsd.service and then everything works.

any idea ?

maybe i can add a timer ?

we monitor the ups using snmp.

7 answers to this question

You could add your own script to do so at the end of when all the others have been run by adding an entry to /etc/irc.local with a delay of 60 seconds, for example, with something like:

/bin/sleep 60

whatever- you-want-to-run ...

and make sure rc.local execution is enabled. Or maybe add a long sleep command in the service, itself, noting that you'd have to remember in either case to update this whenever you update/upgrade.

-=Tobias

• Like 1

its a brand new Xenserver installation

i did the same config as in Xenserver 6.5 we used system-config-securitylevel-tui and add snmp:udp

now in Xenserver 7 it is not available anymore so i edited the file iptables directy to add :

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT

is it hard to make it start as delayed service ? i don't find the proper setting with chkconfig or systemctl.

i think it might be because it's trying to start before the network service starts ?

if it would be firewall problem even when i restart apcupsd service it wouldn't work.

In my iptables file I have:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s W.X.Y.Z -p udp -m udp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT

where W.X.Y.Z is th eIP address of my SNMP server, and it's just before the last line

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

You will I believe need to restart the iptables service to put changes into effect that you edit in manually:

service iptables restart

or

systemctl restart iptables

-=Tobias