Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to stop Citrix Tools from auto-updating? Killing my images!

Joshua Lindemann

Question

Everything has been going fine, but I've recently found that the Citrix Management Agent (tools) are auto updating themselves.  Not a big issue with my normal VM's.  Reboot and the virtual drivers are updated.

But when dealing with PVS and my non-persistent images and that's causing a big problem.  I've seen this before in the past which is why these particular drivers should never be updated due to this particular problem. (I thought 7.15 was supposed to fix this and allow updating of the agent/tools)

When you go to update a version of the image, it's auto-updating the Management Agent to the current version.  Once this happens and you reboot your VM crashes and you get the black screen "Windows failed to start".  At this moment, luckily, I can delete this version and go back to the last good version.  But it's frustrating that I can't seem to stop it (or at very least back the Management Agent back a version to what was working). So I can't seem to go in and update anything on the image without this happening.

Anyone have a workaround for this?  I'm not liking the thought I'm going to have to recreate all my images again.

7 answers to this question

Everything has been going fine, but I've recently found that the Citrix Management Agent (tools) are auto updating themselves.  Not a big issue with my normal VM's.  Reboot and the virtual drivers are updated.

But when dealing with PVS and my non-persistent images and that's causing a big problem.  I've seen this before in the past which is why these particular drivers should never be updated due to this particular problem. (I thought 7.15 was supposed to fix this and allow updating of the agent/tools)

When you go to update a version of the image, it's auto-updating the Management Agent to the current version.  Once this happens and you reboot your VM crashes and you get the black screen "Windows failed to start".  At this moment, luckily, I can delete this version and go back to the last good version.  But it's frustrating that I can't seem to stop it (or at very least back the Management Agent back a version to what was working). So I can't seem to go in and update anything on the image without this happening.

Anyone have a workaround for this?  I'm not liking the thought I'm going to have to recreate all my images again.

I was thinking that 7.15LTSR should allow for auto-updating of the tools. (wasn't it 7.7 and higher allowed this?) But I can see clearly it isn't working.  Once I log into my master image in maintenance mode I see immediately that the Citrix Management Agent is updated today and I haven't done anything but log in.

I haven't done it for a while, but instead of having to rebuild I was going to reverse image.  But looking back in my notes it appears that bnimage.exe is no longer there.  It should be in C:\Program Files\Citrix\Provisioning Services\bnimage.exe but it's not.  Upon searching the form I find that it has indeed been removed.  Which is too bad, that was a great program (compared to XenConvert). 

Currently I'm looking at Carl's suggested details on PV2P (https://www.carlstalhood.com/pvs-update-vdisk/#reverseimagebcdedit)

currently converting volume to volume now.  but I have a few more images to go.  So if anyone else has some suggestions so I can fix this immediately, or fix it quickly I'd love to hear it.

And how does one turn off the auto-update agent within the image?

Sadly Carl's suggestion of using PV2P isn't working.

Ran the PV2P software. Did volume to volume.  Completed successfully.  Shut down VM.  Removed any DVD or extra drives.  Boot off the newly made local copy.  "No Bootable Drives"

**EDIT**  I attached the new volume to another working server and marked that volume as active.  Then re-attached it to it's proper VM.  While it gets past that error of "no bootable drives",  I now have an issue with the Windows Boot Manager where the Boot Configuration Data is missing or has error.

Since it just copied the C:\ volume and not the entire disk it's not copying the system reserved area of the drive.  Would that be the case?

Had a thought;  I'm using image versioning within PVS.  If I take the base image and make a new version in maintenance mode could that be causing some of the grief?

So I've made a copy of the base and booted my maintenance VM off that base image (not a version) and running through the PV2P again to see if that works.