Welcome to our new Citrix community!

HP SNMP Agents on citrix hypervisor 8.0

Camiel Engelaer

Question

I have updated 2 of my 7.5 xenservers to hypervisor 8.0 for testing purposes.  We use the snmp agent to monitor the servers in Nagios.

When i look at the hp site there is no new agent released for 8.0

But when i try to install the  hp-agents-10.50-3.XS7.0  which where working on the 7.X versions i get the error:hp_ag.thumb.png.2236666cc35c4a2094a2f0700ccdd798.png

Repository is not compatible with installed product (xenserver expected)

Anyone?

7 answers to this question

Agents will likely need updated to reflect the new kernel that major versions update.  Best if you have a way to contact HP is

to have them update their agent. You might be able to install something to get it to work manually, but doing that could

also have major impact on your host.

--Alan--

On 2.8.2019 at 4:17 PM, Tobias Kreidl said:

You should be able to do all the SNMP monitoring from an external source, opening only port 161 on the XenServer firewall. There is no need to install any SNMP software on XenServer itself, which could void any warranty and support on it.

-=Tobias

The basic SNMP-monitoring will not give you any infromation about the hardware and disk. For thoses you need HP or Fujitsu Supplements to get all the information about disks , fans etc.

But sadly  the hardware vendors are not very fast in upgrading the supplements for XenServer

I have successfully installed the HP Agents on a new Xenserver 8.1 on an old ML350G6 and Hp Agent package that dates back to 2017

I use Solarwinds NCENTRAL which relies on these agents to monitor the Array, Fans, CPU temperature etc..

Download the package hp-agents-10.50-2.XS7.iso from the HPE website

Copy to your Xenserver <or> I could find it in my ISO store by doing a "mount" command and seeing the local path to the store

Mount the ISO using something like this:

mount -oloop -r /run/sr-mount/d8c1a8a9-d592-dc95-19dc-51e71b8f49e5/hp-agents-10.50-2.XS7.iso /mnt

cd /mnt

Install the packages manually as the script complains about compatibility.

yum install hp*rpm

<or>

rpm -ivh hp*rpm

Initially,  SNMP will not work as the firewall is still active, the install scripts adds port 161 to /etc/sysconfig/iptables 

I find it just as easy to reboot the system, and then all is well (for me)

I hope this helps.

Ian

On 4/20/2020 at 7:14 PM, Ian Ward1709153918 said:

I have successfully installed the HP Agents on a new Xenserver 8.1 on an old ML350G6 and Hp Agent package that dates back to 2017

I use Solarwinds NCENTRAL which relies on these agents to monitor the Array, Fans, CPU temperature etc..

Download the package hp-agents-10.50-2.XS7.iso from the HPE website

Copy to your Xenserver <or> I could find it in my ISO store by doing a "mount" command and seeing the local path to the store

Mount the ISO using something like this:

mount -oloop -r /run/sr-mount/d8c1a8a9-d592-dc95-19dc-51e71b8f49e5/hp-agents-10.50-2.XS7.iso /mnt

cd /mnt

Install the packages manually as the script complains about compatibility.

yum install hp*rpm

<or>

rpm -ivh hp*rpm

Initially,  SNMP will not work as the firewall is still active, the install scripts adds port 161 to /etc/sysconfig/iptables 

I find it just as easy to reboot the system, and then all is well (for me)

I hope this helps.

Ian

Excellent, worked perfectly. Thanks!