Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Browser Content Redirection on HP Thin Clients

Xavier Blackwood

Question

Has anyone got BCR to work on Thin Clients? BCR works correctly on Windows OS (great feature) but I've had no luck getting it to offload on HP Thin Clients. 

The Thin Clients are HP T520/T530 running Thin Pro OS 6.2 and 7.1. Most of my troubleshooting has been using a T530 running ThinPro 7.1. 

The latest WorkSpace app for Linux app 19.3. 

The latest lyncrtme 2.8.0

WebkitGTK + says 2.20.5 

Gstreamer1.x 

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX230052 - I have been mostly following this article as Citrix and HP support don't seem to have knowledge on this topic. 

When I launch Youtube in a XenApp session the browser tries to redirect but videos do not play. Youtube says "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available." 

I'm hoping to get BCR working on ThinClients but if it is impossible, I would like a way to disable it from even trying so BCR can be used for Windows OS. The issue is with BCR enabled its all or nothing, thin clients currently cannot play youtube videos unless I disable to feature completely on the VDA side. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

12 answers to this question

Hi Xavier,

Since you have troubleshoot a lot on BCR, not suggesting anything on that.

You can ensure BCR policy does not gets applied to connections coming via thin client. To achieve this, on the BCR policy along with existing filtering use studio filtering of 'Client IP Address' or 'Client name' which will ensure the policy does not apply to connections coming from Thin clients.

Also have you tried Server fetch and client render mode?

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Aseem

Hi Aseem, 

I'm currently using GPO to configure the BCR settings. I do not see the matching BCR settings in Studio for some reason. I am willing to give up on the Thin Clients but not on BCR for Windows Endpoints. Your suggestion sounds like it would work, any idea why I'm not seeing the BCR settings in Studio (LTSR 7.15 CU4). 

Thanks, 

Xavier 

Xavier,

- BCR was not introduced when 7.15 was launched hence you do not have the Citrix Policy settings to control BCR in 7.15 (and won't be present either).
- BCR was introduced in 7.16.
- BCR is 7.15 CU3 and above are complaint but only way to enable it is via admx files (which I assume you are using).

Another way I see is using WMI filtering in AD GPO to ensure policy's don't hit thin clients (would be a crazy task though)? 

Also I checked and found that software vendor should package WebKitGTK+ 2.24 or higher.

Cheers,

Aseem

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense now why I don't see the policies. 

I'm not sure if the WMI filter would hit the Thin Clients in the way a Studio Policy would. Does GPO know how to check the endpoint connecting to the VDA. The GPO settings may only affect the Windows VDA. 

I may need a thin client linux registry key or config file change to prevent BCR from trying. 

Thanks, 

Xavier 

On 8/1/2019 at 10:07 AM, Xavier Blackwood said:

Has anyone got BCR to work on Thin Clients? BCR works correctly on Windows OS (great feature) but I've had no luck getting it to offload on HP Thin Clients. 

The Thin Clients are HP T520/T530 running Thin Pro OS 6.2 and 7.1. Most of my troubleshooting has been using a T530 running ThinPro 7.1. 

The latest WorkSpace app for Linux app 19.3. 

The latest lyncrtme 2.8.0

WebkitGTK + says 2.20.5 

Gstreamer1.x 

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX230052 - I have been mostly following this article as Citrix and HP support don't seem to have knowledge on this topic. 

When I launch Youtube in a XenApp session the browser tries to redirect but videos do not play. Youtube says "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available." 

I'm hoping to get BCR working on ThinClients but if it is impossible, I would like a way to disable it from even trying so BCR can be used for Windows OS. The issue is with BCR enabled its all or nothing, thin clients currently cannot play youtube videos unless I disable to feature completely on the VDA side. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

The problem here is lack of codecs in your Thin Client. BCR requires GStreamer 1.x, and the respective package from Fluendo for the H264 codecs for that GStreamer version.

You need to ask HP to facilitate that to you (license required).

YouTube can also work with VP9/VP9 free codecs in the WebM container format, but that requires WebKitGTK+ version 2.24 or higher which you dont seem to have.

Again, contact HP and ask them to upgrade their ThinOS distro to include that version.

1 minute ago, Xavier Blackwood said:

I have called HP support but they are pretty useless so I'm at a standstill. On an Ubuntu OS I can update the WebKitGTK+ to 2.24 by running apt-update commands but on HP ThinPro OS apt-get update doesn't work. 

Any ideas on how to break it on the Thin client so that it doesn't attempt BCR?

What is your HP case number?

You can disable BCR on the VDA - either remove the BHO in IE11 (see CTX230052 section 4.7), or the Chrome Extension in Chrome, for that user.

I am not aware how you can 'break it' on the Receiver-side

12 minutes ago, Xavier Blackwood said:

HP Case is 5035231186

The issue with breaking it on the VDA side is the BCR GPO is a computer policy (at least for the IE side). I can disabled it on the VDA side for chrome by not adding the extension but the IE plugin seems to be system wide. 

If you turn on EPM on IE11, that will unload our BHO. Then BCR won't work.

See here for more info

https://www.itprotoday.com/security/turning-enhanced-protected-mode-ie10-and-ie11-using-group-policy