Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenServer monitoring with Nagios

Dennis Haschke

Question

8 answers to this question

I'm sure it is, but I don't.  You would probably have to custom script something with NPRE.

A couple other ideas is installing check_mk on Dom0. I'm a big fan of check_mk. Another

thought is if your hardware has an agent for XenServer you might can monitor disk space

through that. And one non-nagios thought. I remember having a script that added an 

entry into the logs so you end up getting an email alert from the server.

--Alan--

On 1.8.2019 at 9:18 AM, Dennis Haschke said:

Thanks...has someone already used this.
The implementation is not yet quite clear to me.

We use check_mk, a nagios fork, with SNMP. Via SNMP you´ll get basic information about Dom0, but not about the VMs.

Our main goal is monitoirng the SR-capacity and with vendor supplements installed, monitoring the hardware and raid-set, also through SNMP

It´s just setting up SNMP on XS, opening the firewall and oyur done. Ok, do a snmp-walk or have a XS-ready check.

Try this guide: https://support.auvik.com/hc/en-us/articles/209605153-How-to-enable-SNMP-on-Citrix-Xen-hypervisors

You can adopt it to any monitoring solution easyly

On 31.7.2019 at 5:00 PM, Alan Lantz said:

I'm sure it is, but I don't.  You would probably have to custom script something with NPRE.

A couple other ideas is installing check_mk on Dom0. I'm a big fan of check_mk. Another

thought is if your hardware has an agent for XenServer you might can monitor disk space

through that. And one non-nagios thought. I remember having a script that added an 

entry into the logs so you end up getting an email alert from the server.

--Alan--

Do you use check_mk Linuix agents in your Dom0? Do you get more information as with just SNMP and chck_mk? 

I think with just standard SNMP mib you can only get interface statistics. With Check_MK

you could get disk usage, memory usage, etc, etc. I have never installed on Dom0. I use

Fujistu and they have an agent just for their hardware for monitoring the hardware. I poll

it with Nagios and can get notifications about hardware such as a drive issue when going

that route.

--Alan--